Note: The 'Pick your Favorite' contest can be set up via two different mechanisms. This tutorial explains how to create the contest in 'Gallery mode'. Find here which type of “Pick Your Favorite” contest is right for you.
- Step 11. Restrictions to access the promotion
STEP 1. Create the promotion
1. Access the Easypromos Control Panel and log in with your email address and password to manage and create your promotions.
2. Create a new promotion via the ‘Create a new promotion’ button.
3. You will be presented with the products available. Choose ‘Pick your favorite’ to create a promotion that presents captions, short stories, photos or videos and ask the users to vote for their favorite. The users must vote to their favorite option.
Note: If your idea is to create a "Pick your favorite - survey mode", you should choose "Survey" app. Check here which format of "Pick your favorite" suits you better depending on your needs.
5. Your promotion is already created! In the background, you can see the promotion management page. A pop-up window will ask you some extra information in order to help you with pre-settings. If you are not interested, you can skip this step.
- Language by default: Option for selecting the language by default in which you wish to display the promotion content.
- Country. You'll be able to limit participation to one or several particular countries, and only those users who have an IP address corresponding to these countries will be able to register Find more information about country filters.
- Do you want to link this promotion to a Facebook page (optional): Choose the Facebook page where you wish to link the promotion. It allows the platform to preconfigure some aspects of your promotion in order to make editing and managing it easier.
6. Now you find yourself in the promotion management page, where you have all the options for configuring the promotion. Below we outline all the most relevant sections:
- Header. You will find the title of the promotion, the version and other relevant information such as the ID number of the promotion, which identifies each promotion. Give this number to the Easypromos team if you have any issues with the promotion. This will make it easier for them to review your settings.
- Quick button to Preview the promotion. When clicking this button, the Preview tool will open in a new browser window, so you can continue working comfortably in the promotion and, at the same time, preview how the final result is going.
- Link to the promotion. This is the URL that you should use in all the dissemination actions that you are going to carry out. More information here.
- Copy link button. Here you'll be able to automatically copy the link to disseminate the promotion.
- Activate Promotion button. When you have the promotion prepared and ready to launch, click this button to activate and start it. This button will take you to the activation page, where you can review the billing information to proceed to make the payment of the promotion.
- Side menu. Here you will find all the configuration options of the promotion.
- Promotion status. It indicates the status of the promotion: Draft, Active or Expired, as well as if it’s about to start. Once the promotion period has ended, this field will be marked in red saying: Status: Expired. What to do: Here you can choose what you want to show in the URL of the promotion.
- Link to the configuration tutorial. For each type of application you have available from here the link to the step-by-step tutorial so you do not miss any important step.
- Direct access to configuration options within the Editor. This module presents the access to the edition of the following sections which are located within the Editor:
- Management of the dates and the time zone that will have the promotion.
- Languages: It indicates the default language of the promotion and it allows you to change it if you need it.
- Localization: It allows to limit the participation to one or several countries (option included by default in the Premium and the White Libel promotions, and in the Basic version by purchasing the additional extension). More information.
STEP 2. Prepare the platform for uploading texts/photos/videos
The platform comes preconfigured with many features that are established based on the application that you have chosen. In the case of "Pick Your Favorite – gallery mode" it is preconfigured to enable users to upload and vote for photos accompanied by a descriptive text.
- If your intention is to upload photos for voting (with accompanying text), you can go directly to STEP3.
- If you want photos without a descriptive text, texts only or videos to be uploaded, you need to finish filling in the correct fields to make uploading participations easy. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Access the Promotion ‘Editor'.
2. Go to Pages> Entry Form in the menu. In the "Pick your favorite - gallery mode" users do not view or complete the registration form, so the "Entry Form" section is disabled by default.
In this type of application, the registration form serves as an internal tool for the administrator to upload the text/photo/video participations. To do this, you should configure it so that you are able to upload the information you want each participation to contain to the application.
By default, you will find the following fields configured:
1. Media field. This is the field that enables you to upload the photos to be voted for. If you want to upload videos, change "media type" to "only videos". If you only want users to vote for texts, you should delete this field with the trash icon.
Note: If you want to upload videos, change "Media type" to "Only videos".
- If you like, you can enable users to participate with a photo or video.
- You can also make it so that uploading visual material is optional.
2. Comments field. This is the field that will permit you to write the texts to be voted for, or the texts accompanying the photo if needed. If you want to carry out a "Pick Your Favorite" contest for photos only (without text description), delete this field with the trash icon.
If you need to add more information about the photo/text/video, and want it to be seen in the gallery together with the participation, you can use the additional text field.
Note: the top fields that you see in the dropdown menu (email, telephone, date-of-birth, etc.) can never be made public. If you want to add fields that can be seen in the public gallery, you must create them with the “Additional text field.”
3. Additional text field. Use this to create extra text fields which complete the public participation. Write the title and the short title (which will be seen in the gallery), and activate the option that makes it an obligatory and public field.
STEP 3. Configure the voting options
Now check the configuration of the voting system by going to Gallery > Votes.
By default, the "Pick your favorite" contest comes with the voting system enabled. In this section you can configure how you want the voting system to work in your contest, or in its default, will also serve to disable this option. Check here how the voting system works and all the configuration options.
Here we list you all the possibilities you have available:
- By default, the application is configured so that each user can cast only one vote. Consult how does the voting system work and all its settings.
- Check also how Easypromos' fraud control system works.
Once you have configured these sections, leave the "Editor" and return to the promotion administration page.
STEP 4. Upload the photos, texts or videos to the application
Now, Exit the Editor and access the "View entries" section on the left menu to upload all the options (texts/photos/videos) that you would like to present in the gallery to be voted.
Once you are in the "View participants" section, click on the "Create new entry" option to start uploading the content.
Complete the entry by filling in the following fields:
- Name and surname. Add any name if you want yours as administrator. The tool needs a name to process the entry, but this won’t be seen publically because the “Anonymous participation” option is preconfigured.
- Add a caption This is the “Comments” field which enables the main participation text to be written, whether or not it accompanies a photo.
- Upload your picture. This field enables you to upload the participation photo.
Once completed, click on "Finish" and the new participation will appear in the list:
Repeat the process of "Creating a new entry" for each photo/text/video that you want to present in a public gallery.
STEP 5. Customize the texts and images of each page
It’s time to customize your contest and adapt it to your brand by configuring the texts and images of the pages that will be activated in the “Pick your favorite” application.
To do this, access the promotions "Editor" again and go over the following pages:
Configure the texts and upload an image to provide more dynamism. In the description, we suggest that you explain the mechanism of the contest so that voters are clear about the rules of participation; if they are allowed to vote for one option or more, for example. You can also customize the “Vote entries” button to adapt it more to your specific case. For example, "Pick Your Favorite."
Set how the public gallery of texts / photos / videos you have uploaded will be displayed. In this section you should focus on the following option tabs:
1. Contents: From here you can upload a header image to give the gallery a more corporate touch and add an introduction message (option only available with the Premium design template).
2. Layout: By default the contest comes with the tiled gallery layout, which allows you to present more than one picture on the same line, making a visually attractive collage. In this section you will find the following configuration options:
- Decide if you want to use the Tiled gallery or the Vertical gallery.
- Adjust the gallery to your liking. Find out how here.
Note: Additionally, in promotions created with the Premium design template (available in Premium and White Label versions) you have the following additional functionalities to customize the pages of the promotion:
- Customize the name of each section and the icon that identifies it within the promotion menu. For example, you can change the default name of "Welcome" page to "Start".
- Add new sections in the promotion menu to present additional content. This new section can be set up in two different ways:
- New page, for example, to present and explain the prizes of the promotion.
- External link, to drive traffic to your website or microsite.
- New page, for example, to present and explain the prizes of the promotion.
Note: download the Easypromos Design Guide to check the size of all the images needed to create the promotion.
STEP 6. Customize the design
In the Design menu you can customize the look & feel of your promotion completely to adapt it to your brand or product.
In this way, the "Design" section will be presented the following options:
- Template: Decide which design template you want to use to customize the promotion: the Basic design template, or the Premium design template.
- Colors: Change the colors of the texts and the action elements of the promotion.
- Typographies: Select the font used for texts and action buttons of the promotion.
- Buttons: Set the style of the promotion buttons (outlined or solid).
- Container (only Premium template): Completely customize the container by setting the style, opacity, height or position.
- Background: Customize the background of the promotion with an own image or a color. The background will be the same for the different pages of the promotion.
- CSS Styles (only White Label): Use your own CSS styles to completely customize the template.
STEP 7. Introduce the terms and conditions
Introduce the terms and conditions, explaining all the aspects that concern the promotion, sweepstakes or contest. These terms and conditions will be shown via a button on the main page of the promotion and from a link available via any of the promotion’s pages.
To add the terms and conditions, go to the Editor > General> Legal content, where you will find the following sections:
- Terms and conditions.
- Cookies Policy (only in Premium & White Label promotions).
- How to use the free tool for hosting the terms and conditions
- Free Tool for Creating and Hosting Terms and Conditions for Online Promotions
STEP 8. Configure the My Networks modules and the promotion footer
The 'My networks' module enables you to totally customize the screen that is presented to the user before they finalize the registration. This means you can give them the option to click ‘Like’ on your Facebook Page. The My Networks module can be customized with Facebook pages, as well as with Twitter, Instagram and Youtube accounts. Learn how to do this here.
To customize the My Networks module go to Editor > General > My Networks:
You can also customize the text at the foot of the promotion, or deactivate this if it doesn’t interest you. This is a banner, presented at the foot of each page of the promotion.
To enable the Footer of the promotion go to Editor > General > Footer:
STEP 9. Customize viral content
This section is very important for achieving a high level of virality for the contest. The viral content is the message that will be displayed when the participating user shares the promotion with friends to invite them to the promotion.
They can personalize the messages to be shared to suit the channel through which they intend to share the promotion to invite and obtain recruits.
To customize the viral content of the promotion go to Editor > General > Share:
A) Generic content.
Set up the generic contents of the promotion here:
- Viral image: This is the image that will accompany the text to be shared. To make it optimal for the social networks, we suggest a measurement of 1200px wide by 630px high. This same image will be shared via Facebook, Pinterest and Google+. If you don’t upload a specific image for this section, the main promotion image will be disseminated when a participant shares the promotion.
- Generic content: This is the viral text that will be disseminated across the social networks when the participant shares the promotion via the share button on the main page, the registration form or the header of the participations gallery. Learn how to configure this.
This is the content that will be displayed when sharing on social networks via the gallery.
- Activate the checkbox that will permit you to share the content of the participation as a description. This will be shared in Facebook, email and instant messaging applications – the networks which permit longer texts.
- Complete the Title and Tweet fields.
STEP 10. Check the advanced configurations
Go to Pages> Gallery to check other aspects of the gallery, such as:
1.You can show the entries at random and also define the number of shares per page.
2. System of comments. By default, the comments system is enabled. This ensures that users who visit the gallery can comment on the entries. You can disable it by unchecking the option.
3. By default the first page of the "Pick your favorite" is the gallery. If you want the Welcome page to be the first screen and from there go to the gallery, set it here.
STEP 11. Restrictions to access the promotion
The application allows you to restrict the access to the promotion to limit users who can participate in it. Specifically, the platform offers you 2 forms of restriction:
- Restriction by country: It allows to limit the promotion to a specific country or several countries. In this way, only those users who connect from the selected country or countries will see the promotion.
- Age Restriction: Limit the promotion to users whose date of birth is higher than the one indicated by the administrator to establish a minimum age to participate in the promotion.
Note: The functionality to restrict the promotion by age is only available for promotions created with the Premium version and the White Label version that have been designed with the Premium design template.
STEP 12. Preview the promotion
At any time, you can check how the promotion will be displayed once you activate it in order to review the graphic part. To do this, within the same Editor of the promotion you will find the "Preview" direct button in the Editor's header:
Please bear in mind that the preview is not functional; this means that it will let you turn the page even though you haven’t filled in the fields. The best method for testing the functionality of the recruiting system is to activate the promotion but protect it and carry out tests in a closed group. Here we explain how.
STEP 13. Activate the promotion
Once you have configured all aspects of the promotion, you can activate it from the management page of the promotion, where you can make the payment. Here you will find more information.
STEP 14. Publish the promotion
Although your promotion is now active, you still need to take the last step: publishing it. On creating the contest, a URL is generated which will be the main promotion link. By default, this main link leads to a microsite where the promotion is presented. Also, and not exclusively, you can publish the sweepstake or promotion on the Facebook Page or embed it in your blog or website. Control where you wish to publish it via ‘Buzz’. You’ll find all the information about this step here.
STEP 15. Disseminate the promotion
It will also be important to disseminate the promotion via various channels. Always use the main promotion link, as it’s the only one compatible with all types of devices.
You can share the promotion via the following methods:
- With the direct link to the promotion.
- With the ‘share’ button on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
- Creating an outstanding campaign. This option implies placing your campaign in the section of Easypromos highlighted promotions. The highlighted have an additional cost to the price of activating the campaign, and this price is per day of the campaign. If you’d like to create a highlighted campaign, consult this tutorial.
We also recommend this articles with
- 14 basic steps for disseminating and highlighting your campaign on your Facebook Page.
- Definitive Guide to Give Visibility to Facebook Sweepstakes
STEP 16. How to share each individual participation
Each photo/text/video uploaded to the application as a participation has a unique URL so it can be shared indivdually.
By clicking on the share button from the gallery itself it is possible to obtain the unique URL and share it so that users can directly vote for this text/photo/image.
STEP 17. Manage the promotion while it’s still active
While the promotion is active you can monitor and manage the votes from the management page, clicking on the “View entries” section.
From there you will be able to see information about all the voters and download this information as an Excel document.
Note: Information about participants will be available even after the promotion has ended.
STEP 18. Check the promotion statistics
Access the ‘Statistics’ section to see the evolution of voters and their interaction with the application. This information will be available from the moment the first vote is registered, and even after the promotion has ended. Learn more about the information that you have access to in this section.
STEP 19. Final sweepstakes to share the prize and publication of winners
Currently, the ‘Winners’ tool with which you can carry out a random sweepstake to finalize the promotion, by finding one or more winners, can be used among participants. If, for example, you are carrying out a vote on images that you have been sent by participants and now want to find a winner from among those who received the most votes. If this is your case, you may be interested in the following links:
- This tutorial will guide you step-by-step in organizing the final random sweepstake.
- Learn how to publish the winners in a page within the promotion.
The tool is not configured to be used between voters, since these do not register and are not counted as participants. However, you can always download the Excel document with information about voters and then carry out a sweepstake through an external platform such as random.org. Here we explain this solution in more detail.
This is an optional tool, with no added cost, and you can configure it after the registered period.