Note: The 'Pick your Favorite' contest can be set up via two different mechanisms. This tutorial explains how to create the contest in 'Gallery mode'. Find here which type of “Pick Your Favorite” contest is right for you.
STEP 1. Create the promotion
1. Access the Easypromos Control Panel via this link: http://admin.easypromosapp.com. Log in with your Facebook profile and enter your control panel to manage and create your promotions.
2. Create a new promotion via the ‘Create a new promotion’ button.
3. You will be presented with the products available. Choose ‘Pick your favorite’ to create a promotion that presents captions, short stories, photos or videos and ask the users to vote for their favorite. The users must vote to their favorite option.
Note: If your idea is to create a "Pick your favorite - survey mode", you should choose "Survey" app. Check here which format of "Pick your favorite" suits you better depending on your needs.
4. Go on to step 2 and choose the platform version to use (Premium or White Label).
5. Your promotion is already created! In the background, you can see the promotion management page. A pop-up window will ask you some extra information in order to help you with pre-settings. If you are not interested, you can skip this step.
- Language by default: Option for selecting the language by default in which you wish to display the promotion content.
- Country. You'll be able to limit participation to one or several particular countries, and only those users who have an IP address corresponding to these countries will be able to register Find more information about country filters.
- Do you want to link this promotion to a Facebook page (optional): Choose the Facebook page where you wish to link the promotion. It allows the platform to preconfigure some aspects of your promotion in order to make editing and managing it easier.
6. Now you find yourself in the promotion management page, where you have all the options for configuring the promotion. Below we outline all the most relevant sections:
1. Header. You will find the title of the promotion, the version and other relevant information such as the ID number of the promotion, which unequivocally identifies each promotion. Present this number to the Easypromos technical team if you have any issues with, or doubts about, the promotion. This will make it easier for them to review your settings.
2. Link to the promotion. This is the URL that you should use in all the promotion sharing actions that you wish to carry out. More information here.
3. Copy link button. Here you'll be able to automatically copy the link to disseminate the promotion.
4. Side menu. Here you will find all the configuration options of the promotion.
5. Statistics menu. Here you'll find all the general statistics of your contest. It indicates the total users, total votes, emails sent to participants, total page views, general view of visits received, total share button clicks and number of followers gained.
6. Management of dates. Modify the promotion dates from this module.
7. Promotion status. It indicates the status of the promotion: Draft, Active or expired, as well as it is ready to start.
8. Visibility module. Here you'll find the main options to give your promotion more visibility: Publish the promotion as a Facebook tab, appear in the public list of Easypromos promotions and click button to share the promotion.
9. Localization. Select the promotion language by default. You'll also be able to link the promotion to a dictionary you have created with your own texts and translations. In addition, you'll be able to limit participation to one or several particular countries from here. By default the promotion will be visible in all countries. If you want to restrict it only to certain countries, click on ‘Edit’ and enter the names of the countries you wish to include (available in Premium and White Label).
STEP 2. Prepare the platform for uploading texts/photos/videos
The platform comes preconfigured with many features that are established based on the application that you have chosen. In the case of "Pick Your Favorite – gallery mode" it is preconfigured to enable users to upload and vote for photos accompanied by a descriptive text.
- If your intention is to upload photos for voting (with accompanying text), you can go directly to STEP3.
- If you want photos without a descriptive text, texts only or videos to be uploaded, you need to finish filling in the correct fields to make uploading participations easy. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Access the Promotion ‘Editor'.
2. Locate the section entitled "Entry form page", displayed in the menu on the top left.
In “Pick Your Favorite – Gallery Mode,” users do not preview or complete the registration form. In this type of application, the registration form serves as an internal tool for the administrator to upload the text/photo/video participations. To do this, you should configure it so that you are able to upload the information you want each participation to contain to the application. By default, you will find the following fields configured:
1. Media field. This is the field that enables you to upload the photos to be voted for. If you want to upload videos, change "media type" to "only videos". If you only want users to vote for texts, you should delete this field with the trash icon.
2. Comments field. This is the field that will permit you to write the texts to be voted for, or the texts accompanying the photo if needed. If you want to carry out a "Pick Your Favorite" contest for photos only (without text description), delete this field with the trash icon.
If you need to add more information about the photo/text/video, and want it to be seen in the gallery together with the participation, you can use the additional text field.
Note: the top fields that you see in the dropdown menu (email, telephone, date-of-birth, etc.) can never be made public. If you want to add fields that can be seen in the public gallery, you must create them with the “Additional text field.”
3. Additional text field. Use this to create extra text fields which complete the public participation. Write the title and the short title (which will be seen in the gallery), and activate the option that makes it an obligatory and public field.
STEP 3. Configure the voting options
Now check the configuration of the 'Votes' section.
- By default, the application is configured so that each user can cast only one vote. Consult how does the voting system work and all its settings.
Once you have configured these sections, leave the "Editor" and return to the promotion administration page.
STEP 4. Upload the photos, texts or videos to the application
Now access the “See Participants” section to enter all the options (texts/photos/videos) that you would like to present in the gallery to be voted.
Complete the entry by filling in the following fields:
1. Name and surname. Add any name if you want yours as administrator. The tool needs a name to process the entry, but this won’t be seen publically because the “Anonymous participation” option is preconfigured.
2. Facebook User ID. Leave the section blank. The entry will still be created.
3. Character name. This field appears because we have configured it as an “additional text field.” It’s a good idea to create it when the “Pick Your Favorite” contest includes participants’ texts/photos or videos. It’s useful to use the search box to enable users to find the friend they want to vote for.
4. Add a caption This is the “Comments” field which enables the main participation text to be written, whether or not it accompanies a photo.
5. Upload your picture. This field enables you to upload the participation photo.
Once completed, click on "Finish" and the new participation will appear in the list:
This is how it will appear in the public gallery:
Repeat the process of "Creating a new entry" for each photo/text/video that you want to present in a public gallery.
STEP 5. Customize the texts and images of each screen
It’s time to customize your contest and adapt it to your brand.by configuring the texts and images of the screens that will be activated in the “Pick your favorite” application.
To do this, access the promotions “Editor” again and go over the following screens:
A) Landing page. Configure the texts and upload an image 810px wide and 450px high to provide more dynamism. In the description, we suggest that you explain the mechanism of the contest so that voters are clear about the rules of participation; if they are allowed to vote for one option or more, for example. You can also customize the “Vote entries” button to adapt it more to your specific case. For example, "Pick Your Favorite."
Note: The “Hide participation button” option comes preconfigured. Don’t deselect this option or participants will be able to upload their texts/photos/videos.
B) Entries list page. Configure how the public gallery that you have previously uploaded texts/photos/videos to will be seen.
- Entries header image. You have the option of uploading an image in order to give the gallery a more corporative aspect.
- Tiled gallery options. By default, in “Pick Your Favorite” contests, the gallery is displayed in a vertical format in order to show each participation separately and highlight the text. If you want to test how the participation will look in a mosaic format you can activate the “Use tiled gallery layout” format. Save the changes once you have configured the gallery as you would like it.
Note: download the Easypromos Design Guide to find out the measurements of all the images needed to complete the promotion. For “Pick Your Favorite” contests we recommend the following:
- Main image
- Header image
- Viral image
- Background of the promotion
STEP 6. Customize the design
Modify the colors of the buttons and sections of the promotion so that they reflect the look and feel of your brand or product, or of the specific campaign. You can also choose from various fonts, upload a background image and introduce the customized CSS styles (in White Label).
If you need help on how these sections work:
STEP 7. Introduce the terms and conditions
Introduce the legal bases, explaining all the aspects that concern the promotion, sweepstake or contest. These legal bases will be shown via a button on the main page of the promotion and from a link available via any of the promotion’s pages.
STEP 8. Configure the My Networks modules and the promotion footer
The 'My networks' module enables you to totally customize the screen that is presented to the user before they finalize the registration. This means you can give them the option to click ‘Like’ on your Facebook Page. You can suggest as many Facebook and Twitter accounts as you wish to users. Learn how to do this here.
You can also customize the text at the foot of the promotion, or deactivate this if it doesn’t interest you. This is a banner, presented at the foot of each screen of the promotion, that when clicked on will present you with the ‘My networks’ module. You will find the information here.
STEP 9. Customize viral content
This section is very important for achieving a high level of virality for the contest. The viral content is the message that will be displayed when the participating user shares the promotion with friends to invite them to the promotion.
They can personalize the messages to be shared to suit the channel through which they intend to share the promotion to invite and obtain recruits.
For a “Pick Your Favorite” contest in gallery mode, we suggest you fill in the following sections:
A) Settings. You only need to upload the viral image. This is the image that will accompany the text to be shared. To ensure that this is optimal for the social networks, we suggest a size that is 1200px wide by 630px high. This image will be shared via Facebook, Pinterest and Google+. If a specific image is not uploaded for this section, the main promotion image will be shared instead.
B) Generic content. This is the viral text that will be disseminated across the social networks when the participant shares the promotion from the share button of the main page and from the header button on the participations gallery. Learn how to configure it.
- Activate the checkbox that will permit you to share the content of the participation as a description. This will be shared in Facebook, email and instant messaging applications – the networks which permit longer texts.
- Complete the Title and Tweet fields.
STEP 10. Other options that you can configure in the contest
1. You can show the participation randomly by managing it in “Settings”, in the “Entries” section.
2. System of commentaries. By default, the comments system is enabled. This ensures that users who visit the gallery can comment on the entries. You can disable it by unchecking the option.
3. By default, the first screen of the "Pick Your Favorite" gallery mode is the voting gallery (list of participants/entries). If you want the home page to be the first screen, and from there go to the gallery.
STEP 11. Preview the promotion
At any time, you can see from this section how the promotion will be displayed. Please bear in mind that the preview is not functional; this means that it will let you turn the page even though you haven’t filled in the fields. The best method for testing the functionality of the recruiting system is to activate the promotion but protect it and carry out tests in a closed group. Here we explain how.
STEP 12. Activate the promotion
Once you have configured all aspects of the promotion, you can activate it from the management page. This is where you will be asked to pay for it. You can find more information here.
STEP 13. Publish the promotion
Although your promotion is now active, you still need to take the last step: publishing it. On creating the contest, a URL is generated which will be the main promotion link. By default, this main link leads to a microsite where the promotion is presented. Also, and not exclusively, you can publish the sweepstake or promotion on the Facebook Page or embed it in your blog or website. Control where you wish to publish it via ‘Publish’. You’ll find all the information about this step here.
STEP 14. Disseminate the promotion
It will also be important to disseminate the promotion via various channels. Always use the main promotion link, as it’s the only one compatible with all types of devices.
You can share the promotion via the following methods:
- With the direct link to the promotion.
- With the ‘share’ button on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
- Creating an outstanding campaign. This option implies placing your campaign in the section of Easypromos highlighted promotions. The highlighted have an additional cost to the price of activating the campaign, and this price is per day of the campaign. If you’d like to create a highlighted campaign, consult this tutorial.
We also recommend this article with 14 basic steps for disseminating and highlighting your campaign on your Facebook Page.
STEP 15. How to share each individual participation
Each photo/text/video uploaded to the application as a participation has a unique URL so it can be shared indivdually.
By clicking on the share button from the gallery itself it is possible to obtain the unique URL and share it so that users can directly vote for this text/photo/image.
STEP 16. Manage the promotion while it’s still active
While the promotion is active you can monitor and manage the votes from the management page, clicking on the “View entries” section.
From there you will be able to see information about all the voters and download this information as an Excel document.
Note: Information about participants will be available even after the promotion has ended.
STEP 17. Check the promotion statistics
Access the ‘Statistics’ section to see the evolution of voters and their interaction with the application. This information will be available from the moment the first vote is registered, and even after the promotion has ended. Learn more about the information that you have access to in this section.
STEP 18. Final sweepstakes to share the prize and publication of winners
Currently, the ‘Winners’ tool with which you can carry out a random sweepstake to finalize the promotion, by finding one or more winners, can be used among participants. If, for example, you are carrying out a vote on images that you have been sent by participants and now want to find a winner from among those who received the most votes. If this is your case, you may be interested in the following links:
- This tutorial will guide you step-by-step in organizing the final random sweepstake.
- Learn how to publish the winners in a page within the promotion.
The tool is not configured to be used between voters, since these do not register and are not counted as participants. However, you can always download the Excel document with information about voters and then carry out a sweepstake through an external platform such as random.org. Here we explain this solution in more detail.
This is an optional tool, with no added cost, and you can configure it after the registered period.