Note: The 'Pick your Favorite' contest can be set up in two different styles. This tutorial explains how to create the contest in Gallery mode. The other option available is Survey mode. Find out which type of contest is right for you.
Step 1. Create the promotion
1. Access the Easypromos Control Panel and log in with your email address and password to manage and create your promotions.
2. Create a new promotion by clicking the green button.
3. You'll see a list of all the products available. Choose Pick Your Favorite to create a promotion which displays photo captions, short stories, photos, or videos, and asks users to vote for their favorite.
5. Your promotion has been created! In the background, you'll see the promotion management page. A pop-up window will ask for some extra information to help with pre-settings. If you're not interested right now, you can skip this step.
- Default language: Select the default language in which to display promotional content.
- Country. You can limit participation to one or several countries. Only users with an IP address based in these countries will be able to participate. Learn more about country filters.
- Do you want to link this promotion to a Facebook page (optional): Choose the Facebook page to which you wish to link the promotion. This enables the platform to preconfigure some aspects of the promotion, making it easier to edit and manage.
6. Now you're on the promotion management page, where you'll find all your promotion settings and options. Below, we outline the most important sections:
- Header. This displays the title of the promotion, the version (Premium or White Label), and other relevant information, such as the promotion ID number. The promotion status indicates whether the promotion is active, draft, or expired, as well as if it’s about to start. Once the promotion period has ended, this field will be marked in red saying: Status: Expired. You can choose what to show on an expired promotion page.
- Link to the promotion. Use this URL whenever you share the promotion. Learn more about sharing here. The copy link button automatically copies the link, to make sharing even easier.
- Activate Promotion. When the promotion is ready to launch, click this button to activate it. You'll be taken to the activation page, where you can review billing information and make payments.
- Side menu. All your promotion settings in one place.
- View tutorial. This tutorial guides you step by step through the creation and management of your promotion.
- Promotion dates controls the time zone and phases of the promotion.
Languages indicates the default language of the promotion. You can edit this if you wish.
Localization enables you to limit participation to one or several countries. Read more about country filters.
- Next steps: Practical recommendations that will guide you in the creation and management of your campaign.
Top tip: the promotion ID number (#) is a unique identifier for each promotion. Quote this number if you need to contact the Easypromos support team with any issues. This will make it easier for us to review your settings and help you out.
Step 2. Prepare to upload photos, texts, or videos
The Easypromos platform includes lots of pre-set features, based on which version you've chosen. For Pick Your Favorite contests in Gallery mode, users can upload and vote for photos with captions, by default.
- If that's the kind of contest you want to run, then go right ahead to Step 3 of this tutorial.
- If you want a contest using photos without captions, text only, or videos, you will need to edit the pre-settings. Follow the steps below:
1. Go to the promotion Editor.
2. Go to Pages > Entry Form, in the left-hand menu. For this type of contest, users do not view or complete the registration form, so the "Entry Form" section is disabled by default.
Instead, the registration form serves as an internal tool for you to upload contest entries. You'll see the following default settings:
1. Media field. This enables you to upload competition entries. If you want to upload videos, change "media type" to "only videos". If you only want users to vote for texts, you should delete this field by clicking the trash icon.
- You can allow users to participate with both photos and videos.
- You can make it optional to include photos or videos in competition entries.
2. Comments field. If you are running a contest with texts or photo captions, you can write the texts here. If you want to carry out a contest for photos or videos only, with no captions, delete this field by using the trash icon.
Note: The fields available in the dropdown menu (email, telephone, date-of-birth, etc.) are not public. If you want to add fields which will be visible in the public gallery, create them with the additional text field.
3. Additional text field. Use this field to publish extra details about each competition entry. Write the title and the short title for this field, and check the boxes to make it mandatory and and public.
Step 3. Configure voting options
Now check the configuration of the voting system by going to Gallery > Votes.
By default, the voting system is enabled. You can choose how you want the voting system to work in your contest, or disable it. Here are all the options available:
- By default, the application is configured so that each user can cast only one vote. Read more about this setting.
- Learn how the Easypromos platform works to prevent fraud.
Once you have configured these sections, leave the Editor and return to the promotion management page.
Step 4. Upload photos, texts, or videos
Access Participants from the left-hand menu to upload competition entries to the voting gallery.
Click "Add participants" to start uploading content.
Complete each entry by filling in the following fields:
- Name and surname. The tool requires a name to process the entry, but it will not be displayed publicly. "Anonymous participation" is enabled by default for this type of contest.
- Add a caption. This is the “Comments” field in the entry form where you can enter text, either alone or as a photo caption.
- Upload your picture.
Once completed, click "Finish" and the new entry will appear in the list:
Repeat the process for each contest entry that you want to present in the public gallery.
Step 5. Customize the text and images for each page
Customize the application to match your brand or product. You can format text, images and colors.
1. Enter the promotion Editor.
2. Configure the text and images for each page of the promotion:
Set how the public gallery will be displayed. Take a look at the option tabs:
1. Contents: Upload a header image for a smart look, and write an introductory message.
2. Layout: By default, the gallery uses a tiled layout, which presents a visually attractive collage. You can:
- Decide if you want to use the Tiled gallery or the Vertical gallery.
- Adjust gallery settings in more detail. Find out how here.
Additionally, you can edit general features of the promotion menu, accessible from each page:
- Customize the name and icon of each section and the icon in the promotion menu. For example, you can change the default name of "Welcome" page to "Start", with an icon to match.
- Add new sections for additional content. This new section can be set up in two different ways:
- New page, for example, to present and explain the prizes of the promotion.
- External link, to drive traffic to your website or microsite.
Note: download the Easypromos Design Guide for recommended image measurements for each element of the promotion.
Step 6. Customize the design
In the Design menu, you can completely customize the look and feel of the promotion to match your brand or product. Your options include:
- Colors: Change the colors of texts and the action elements (such as buttons).
- Typographies: Select the font used for texts and action elements.
- Buttons: Set the style of the promotion buttons to outlined or solid.
- Container: Completely customize the container by setting the style, opacity, height or position.
- Background: Customize the background of the promotion with your own image or choice of colors. The background will be the same for each page of the promotion.
- CSS Styles (White Label only): Use your own CSS styles to completely customize the template.
Step 7. Insert legal texts
To insert the terms and conditions, go to Editor > General > Legal content, where you will find the following sections:
Step 8. Configure My Networks and the promotion footer
The My Networks module enables you to customize a pop-up. The pop-up encourages users to visit or Like your Facebook page. You can set up My Networks for Facebook pages, as well as Twitter, Instagram and YouTube accounts. Learn how to do that here. You can choose to show the pop-up:
- On loading the welcome page.
- On clicking the Enter button on the welcome page.
- On clicking the Submit button on the entry form page.
To customize My Networks, go to Editor > General > My Networks:
The Footer is a banner presented at the base of each page. You can customize this text, or deactivate it if you don't want it.
To enable the promotion footer, go to Editor > General > Footer where you'll see the following options:
- "Created by" field which will allow you to customize the name of the brand or company organizing the promotion.
- Decide what elements you want to show in the promotion foot.
Step 9. Customize viral content
This section is very important if you want the contest to go viral. The viral content is the message displayed when users share the promotion with friends, or invite them to join in. They can personalize the share message for each social network that they use.
To customize the viral content, go to Editor > General > Share:
A) Generic content.
Set up the generic content of the promotion here:
- Viral image: This is the image which accompanies the shared text. To optimize for social networks, we suggest dimensions of 1200px by 630px. The same image will be shared on Facebook, Pinterest and Google+. If you don’t upload a specific image for this section, the main promotion image will be displayed whenever participants share.
- Generic content: This is the viral text that will be displayed when participants use the share button on the main page, the registration form or the header of the gallery.
This content that will be displayed when users share via the competition gallery.
- Activate the checkbox to enable sharing descriptions of competition entries. This will be shared in Facebook, email and instant messaging applications – the networks which permit longer texts.
- Complete the Title and Tweet fields.
Step 10. Advanced settings
Go to Pages > Gallery to check more detailed settings, such as:
1. Show entries at random.
2. Set the number of entries displayed per page.
3. Comments system. By default, the comments system is enabled. You can disable it by unchecking the box.
3. Set the first page of the app. By default, users land on the gallery page. You can edit this so that users see the Welcome page first, for example.
Step 11. Set entry restrictions
You can restrict access to the promotion for certain users. Specifically, the platform offers 2 forms of restriction:
- Restriction by country: You can limit the promotion to a specific country or countries. In this way, only users who connect from the selected countries will see the promotion. Learn how to enable country restriction here.
- Restriction by age: Limit the promotion to users whose age is higher than the one indicated by the administrator. This establishes a minimum age for participation. Learn how to enable the age verification window here.
Step 12. Publish the winners page (optional)
Before and during the promotion, you can choose to display the prizes which you are going to award. The same page will display the winners of each prize, once there are winners. You can decide whether to publish this page right from the start of the promotion, or wait until after the promotion has ended. To customize and publish the winners page, go to Editor > Pages > Winners.
Step 13. Preview the promotion
You can preview what the active promotion will look like. You'll find the Go to Preview button in the header of the Editor, on the right-hand side:
Please keep in mind that the Preview just shows what the promotion will look like. It is not a functional test. That’s why you can click through the pages without filling in your data, for example. To test how the promotion works, you will have to activate it with password protection, while you try it out privately. Learn how to do that here.
Step 14. Activate the promotion
Once you are happy with all your promotion settings, return to the management page. Here you can activate the promotion, view billing information, and make payments. Learn more.
Step 15. Publish the promotion
Although your promotion is now active, you still need to take the final step: publishing it.
When you created the promotion, a microsite with a unique URL was created. This URL is the main link to the promotion. By default, it leads to the welcome page of the promotion, but you can change this. You can also, and not exclusively, publish the promotion on a Facebook Page or embed it in your blog or website. Control where the promotion is published with “Buzz”. Learn more about publishing here.
Step 16. Share the promotion
It's important to share the promotion on as many different social media channels as possible. Always use the main link to the promotion, as it’s uniquely compatible with all devices.
You can share the promotion via the following methods:
- With the direct link to the promotion.
- With the ‘share’ button on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
- Use Facebook Ads to give more visibility to the promotion. One of the most effective ways to improve the visibility of the promotion is through the Facebook advertising service, which will allow you to create an advertisement to promote the contest and generate traffic to the promotion. To do this, you must access the Facebook advertisers page and create an advertisement to promote the contest. This tutorial will guide you step by step if it is the first time you create an ad with Facebook Ads. If you have never done an add on Facebook or are looking for a simpler way, take advantage of Easypromos' "Ads Campaign" functionality. You can promote your sweepstakes or contest on Facebook and Instagram, according to your target audience and with just three clicks. Test it! (only available for promotions created with the Premium and White Label versions).
- Featuring your promotion. This adds your campaign to the list of Easypromos featured promotions. Featuring a promotion carries an additional cost, calculated per day of the campaign. If you’d like to Feature a campaign, consult this tutorial.
We also recommend these articles:
- 14 basic steps for disseminating and highlighting your campaign on your Facebook Page.
- Definitive Guide to Give Visibility to Facebook Sweepstakes
Step 17. Share individual competition entries
Each photo, text, or video uploaded to the competition gallery has a unique URL. This means you can share individual entries, and encourage followers to vote for them. Use the share buttons in the gallery to share a direct voting link.
Step 18. Manage the active promotion
While the promotion is active, you can monitor entries from the management page. Click on Participants in the left-hand menu.
From Participants, you can view information on all participants, and download it to an Excel file.
Note: Information about participants will be available even after the promotion has finished.
Step 19. View promotion statistics
Access Statistics to view information about voters and how they interact with the promotion app. This information will be available from the moment the first vote is registered. It remains accessible from your account even after the promotion has ended. Learn more about the information you can access in this section.
Step 20. Manage prizes and publish the winners
When the promotion ends, you can use the prize management system to create and assign prizes. You can choose to assign prizes randomly or manually.
- Randomly: Run one or more sweepstakes among all participants, or a segment of participants, and obtain a certificate of validity with the results.
- Manually: Assign one or more prizes manually to contest participants. This is useful in contests with voting or skills tests. We also recommend this option when winners are selected by a jury, notary public, or the organizing brand.
Note: The Winners tool can also be used to carry out a sweepstakes among voters. Learn how to carry out a prize draw for voters.
Start the winner selection process from the “Winners” menu:
Step 21. Finishing up the promotion
The end of a promotion is controlled by the dates set up in the Editor. When the "End of publication date" is passed, the promotion status changes from active to expired. By default, the promotion is unpublished and is no longer visible. If participants try to access the promotion, a screen with the message "promotion expired" is displayed.
As administrator of the contest, you can choose to edit the content of this "promotion expired" screen. You could republish the promotion so that it is visible again, show the winners of the promotion, or keep the contest gallery visible.