The Mention + Hashtag contest allows to monitor and track new photos or videos published on Instagram with a brand mention and your campaign hashtag in real-time. When new content is detected, the photo or video will be imported to the contest automatically and it will count as a new participant.
The content of the tutorial is as follows:
1. General description
The "Mention+Hashtag" application will allow you to create a contest with all the content generated by your users on Instagram. You will be able to import in real time tweets, photos and videos from Instagram tagged with one or more hashtags and with mention of the organizing brand's profile.
All tweets, photos and videos from Instagram will be automatically imported into the application, and you can make the gallery of photos and videos public and present it on your website, blog or on Facebook.
This contest allows you to carry out different actions according to your objectives:
- Retrieve all the participants that have mentioned the brand on Instagram and used the contest hashtag and obtain the username from the social network they’ve participated from.
- Carry out one or several prize draws among all participants.
- Display the entries in a public gallery that you can publish in your website, blog, Facebook page, etc.
2. What should you know before beginning
- The integration of Instagram must be activated from the beginning of the contest, since the entries must be imported in real time.
- The system will only monitor mentions in real-time. It will not import past mentions.
- The participating users’ profile should be public. Private profiles are not supported.
- The publication dates of the posts should be within the entry dates of the promotion.
- Images from the posts imported to the contest cannot be downloaded.
- Furthermore, you should also keep these following points in mind:
- The real-time mention monitoring is only available for Instagram business profiles.
- Only posts (photos or videos) posted on the profile will be imported. Stories are not supported. Not available for posts on Instagram TV.
- The mention should be in the description of the post, not in the comments.
3. Create the promotion
How to start creating the Spin the wheel promotion? We present the following tutorial that will allow you to know the first steps to create your promotion so that you do not miss any important point. You will learn all the general management options that you have available as an administrator in your internal dashboard to manage and edit the promotion.
4. Set up of the Mention+Hashtag contest
Below we explain all the steps you must follow to collect the participants who have published a photo or video on Instagram, mentioned your brand and using the hashtag configured for the contest.
Step 1. Enable Instagram integration
Now go to Integrations in the left-hand menu to activate Instagram integration. Access the "Integrations" menu:
The integration with Instagram will allow you to enable a monitor that will track new photos and/or videos on Instagram in real-time that contain a mention of your brand with a hashtag that you have defined for the contest. When a new content is detected, the photo or video will be imported into the contest automatically, and will count as a new participant.
Users from Instagram can participate if they have a public Instagram account at the time of publishing the photo/video.
Click on the "Instagram" section to enter the configuration panel. The first step is to connect with the Facebook profile with which you manage the Facebook page that is linked to the Instagram profile where you want to organize the contest. To do this, click on the "Facebook" button.
If this is the first time you connect that Facebook account with Easypromos, it will ask you to authorize the permissions of the Easypromos application so that we can show the accounts you manage.
Once accepted, you can now select the Instagram business profile with which you want to organize the contest:
Note: In case your Instagram company account does not appear, check this tutorial.
Your Instagram integration settings will be displayed. Choose the options that suit you:
1. Mention. By default, the system will configure the mention according to the Instagram account you selected in the previous step. Click on "change" if you need to change your account.
2. Hashtag(s). Add the hashtag that Instagram followers have to use to submit photos or videos to the competition. You can list a maximum of 3 hashtags. If you list multiple hashtags, the system will import any post or comment that contains at least one of them.
Use several hashtags as insurance against spelling variations, mistakes, and typos. Some examples are #ContestDesign and #ContestDesing, or #GrammyContest and #GrammmyContest.
Important: You can not require users to use multiple hashtags to enter. When you add hashtags to the list, don't include the # symbol or any blank spaces.
3. Promotion status. In case the promotion is not activated, the system will warn you, because it is necessary that the promotion is activated to enable the integration.
4. Type of content to import. Choose the type of post you wish to import:
- All Types: the application will read and import both photos and videos from Instagram.
- Only Photos: the application will only read and import photos.
- Only Videos: the application will only read and import videos.
5. Excluded users. Name any Instagram users whose content you don’t want to import. For example, it’s a good idea to add the name of the Instagram user who is organizing the contest. If someone is using the hashtag inappropriately, you can exclude their posts from the contest by adding them to this list.
6. Only one entry per user. Check this option if you want Instagram users to have a single competition entry only.
Note: It's not possible to import more than one photo or video from the same post. If you allow more than one entry per user, each photo or video should be posted separately in independent posts.
7. Enable reply message. You can enable an automatic reply message, which will be automatically sent to the users after posting the photo/video on their Instagram profile.
Important! Users are allowed to edit an existing post to add the mention and the hashtag, but the system will only be able to import this post if it was published within the participation dates of the promotion.
Step 2. Set up the content to import
The application comes preconfigured to present text and images (photos and videos) from Instagram in the gallery.
To configure the content you want to import to the contest, you must access the Editor > Pages > Registration form> Fields and edit the following fields:
- If your contest is only on Instagram, and you are not interested in including text in the gallery, delete the "Comments field".
- By default, the contest will import both pictures and videos, but you can change this behaviour, you can modify the "Media field" by clicking on the "Media type" option.
Attention! Make sure your settings on this page match your settings in Integrations > Instagram.
By default, the Form page is disabled, as the contest template is configured to only accept entries from Instagram, where users do not need to go through the registration form to upload their photo. In order to edit the previous fields, you must first publish the form page to discover the form fields that you will need to configure based on the type of content to import:
Once the necessary fields have been edited, you can unpublish the form page again if you only want to accept entries from Instagram:
Note: If you also want to enable participation via Facebook or microsite, you only have to keep the Registration Form page published.
Step 3. Set up the gallery (optional)
If, apart from importing the entries that use the hashtag you are interested in showing the content in a gallery and being able to spread it, you can configure the following sections:
1. Contents: Upload a header image to give the gallery a more sophisticated design. You can also add an introductory message, to welcome viewers to the gallery.
2. Layout: In a Hashtags Contest, the gallery has a "mosaic" layout by default. Multiple photos are shown on each line, creating a visually attractive collage.
You can edit the following settings:
- Switch to Tiled Gallery. If you’d prefer to present each participation (photo, text, and video) on a separate line, uncheck this box.
- If your contest is text-based, or it accepts text-only tweets, you can choose to display texts as quotes.
- You can edit the maximum height of images in the gallery. Find out how to resize images in a tiled gallery layout.
Note: If you want to create a gallery of hashtags with automatic presentation, use the Full Screen tool.
Step 4. Enable the voting (optional)
Increase engagement by asking users to vote for their favorite entries. Start by updating the gallery settings in Editor > Pages > Gallery > Votes.
By default, Mention+Hashtag contest has the voting system disabled. Use this page to enable it, and configure how you want the voting to work:
5. Customize the design and finish the settings
Once you have configured the Mention+Hashtag contest, the next step is to finish the configuration of the other options of the promotion, such as customizing the design template with your own colors and texts, introducing the legal bases, the viral content settings, etc. Check the tutorial to finish the configuration and customization of your promotion.
6. Manage and publish the winners
Easypromos provides a complete Prize and Winners Management system that will allow you to create the prize or prizes that you want to give to the users who participate in the contest, as well as configure how you want to assign the prizes and select the winners.
Specifically, for the Mention+Hashtag Contest you have two ways to assign the prize to the winners, according to your choice:
1. Randomly: You can run one or more draw among participants, or among a segment of participants, and obtain a certificate of validity with the results. Follow the steps of this tutorial to run the draw.
2. Manually: You can assign one or more prizes manually to your chosen winners. This is useful in voting contests and skills tests. We also recommend this option if your winners are selected by a jury, notary public, or the organizing brand. Follow the steps of this tutorial to assign the prizes manually.
When you have the winners page ready, you can communicate it by sharing it on social networks. You can use the "Share" button to directly spread the URL of the winners page:
In order to announce the winners on Instagram, we recommend the three following actions:
1. Publish a link to the Winners Page in the Bio of the organizing brand's Instagram account.
2. Publish a post or a story where the results of the giveaway are announced, so that viewers can find the link in the Bio.
3. Use your social media channels to share the link to the Winners Page.
4. Share the presentation of the draw in Broadcast Mode to communicate the winners in a more dynamic way.
Check here other ideas and recommendations to communicate the winners of your contest on Instagram.
Note: Keep in mind that links in Instagram comments and photo descriptions are not active, and can't be clicked on.