You can use Easypromos to run giveaways and contests for users who comment on a YouTube video on your channel.
The YouTube Giveaway App enables you to import the comments made on a video, and then run a pick-a-winner contest between the users who commented. You can publish the winners on a customized webpage, and display a Certificate of Validity to prove that the contest is transparent and fair.
What you need to know before you start:
- The first YouTube giveaway is free.
- From the second giveaway onward it is necessary to purchase a Basic plan or higher. Check our comparative table of prices to know all the details of the prices and the characteristics of the plans for the Youtube giveaway.
- The "YouTube giveaway" application should be used at the end, when the period to participate in the draw has already ended and you want to perform the random draw among all the comments to get the winner. In this way, the application will import all the comments of the YouTube video.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to setting up and running the giveaway:
- Step 1. Access the Control Panel
- Step 2. Import the YouTube video
- Step 3. Check the list of finalists and apply exclusions
- Step 4. Define the number of winners and alternates
- Step 5. Test your design and activate the giveaway
- Step 6. Prepare to announce the winners
- Step 7. Announce the winners
- Step 8. Notify the winners
- Step 9. Manage winners and alternates
Step 1. Access the Control Panel
Access the Easypromos Control Panel here. If you’re not a user yet, create an account and then open the Control Panel to create and manage your promotions.
This is what the Control Panel looks like:
A) Information about your account is in the bar at the top right. Use your account ID (preceded by #) to identify yourself when requesting help from the Support Center.
B) This is the space where all your promotions will be listed according to their status: Active Promotions, Draft Promotions, and Old Promotions.
Step 2. Import the YouTube video
To create your YouTube giveaway, follow these steps:
1. Click on the “Create New Promotion” button to begin setting up the contest.
2. Select “YouTube Giveaway”:
3. Next click on "Comments":
4. The promotion set-up screen will be displayed. As a first step, you should select or create an organizing brand for your giveaway. This organizing brand is independent of any social network and works as a folder within your Easypromos account, in order to help organize the promotions that you create.
5. Once you have selected the organizing brand of the giveaway, click on “Connect with YouTube” to start a session with your Google account. The tool will display all your YouTube channels, so that you can choose where you want to run the contest
Note: If this is your first YouTube giveaway, you must accept the app’s permissions. We just use these to find your Google accounts and show you the YouTube channels that you currently manage:
5. After selecting your YouTube channel, you’ll see the confirmation screen. Click “Accept and Close” to continue:
6. Once your account is linked and your YouTube channel is selected, the next step is to select the video you're going to use for the giveaway:
Note: Only videos with at least 1 comment will be presented.
7. If you require it, you can select several videos from the list to import the comments of several publications as finalists of the giveaway:
Note: The possibility of selecting more than one video for the same giveaway is not available for the first free giveaway. Accounts with the Basic plan have the possibility of selecting a maximum of 10 posts for the same giveaway. In addition, with the "Multi-Network Giveaway" application you can accumulate up to a maximum of 25 videos for the same giveaway.
8. In the upper right corner of the screen you can check the posts you have included for the giveaway. When you have selected all the posts you want, you must click on the "Continue" button:
9.By clicking on the "Continue" button, the import of the comments of the posts we have selected will begin.
Do you want to run a giveaway combining different social networks? With our application “Multi-Network Giveaway” you can carry out a prize draw including users who participate on posts from more than one social network: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Youtube. See how it works!
Step 3. Check the list of finalists and apply exclusions
You should now be on the giveaway page. Below the title of your contest, you’ll find the number of participants and the options for seeing their details. You can also use this page to exclude participants from the giveaway, or add them to a blacklist.
In the case of detecting hashtags in users' comments, the tool presents the participations grouped according to the hashtags detected. This classification is preconfigured as informative, although if the administrator wants, he can use it as a filter and only the finalists enter the contest with the hashtags or reactions he selects.
The Easypromos tool offers several different exclusion options:
- You can blacklist users who engage in bad practices. This permanently excludes blacklisted users from all giveaway. You don’t need to search for them each time you run a new giveaway. The blacklist will always be available, as it's tied to your Easypromos administrator account.
- Exclusion of previous winners. If you’d like to prevent the same user from winning more than once, choose this option.
- Occasional exclusion. If you want to exclude a specific user from the giveaway - perhaps because they haven't complied with the guidelines - use the tool's built-in search engine to find and exclude the user manually. You can also look them up in the List of Participants at the top of the giveaway page.
- Exclusion based on comment hashtags. This option becomes available when there are hashtags in the comments. For example, if your giveaway relies on comments with hashtags, you might want to control how many hashtags participants use. Find out more about this option here.
- Exclude users who have not commented on the minimum number of publications. If it is a giveaway among users who have commented on several publications, this option allows you to limit the giveaway to users who have commented on a minimum number of posts. We explain more about this option here.
- Exclude users with a minimum number of characters in comments. If it is a comments giveaway, this option will allow you to filter participants so that those who have included a minimum number of characters in their comment can enter the giveaway.
- Exclude participations registered after a certain date. This option enables you to set a deadline for the giveaway, so that users who enter too late are prevented from participating.
Step 4. Define the numbers of winners and alternates
Do you want to give away different prizes?
With the option "Customize the prizes" you can create all the prizes you want to give away, and for each prize, you can define the number of winners you want to obtain. For example, you can have a first prize to give away some movie tickets with 2 winners, and a second prize of tickets for a concert with 2 other winners. Being two different prizes, this option will allow you to manage the number of winners you want to obtain for each type of prize, and at the time of publishing the winners, these will also be presented separately.
To manage the different prizes of your draw, click on "Customize the prizes". A pop-up will open where you can define the name and number of winners of each of the prizes:
Click on "Continue" and you’ll be taken to the Test Page. From here you can carry out a test to check whether the giveaway is working correctly, and see how the winners will be displayed afterwards.
Step 5. Test your design and activate the giveaway
Before using the tool to pick a winner at random, you have the chance to carry out various tests to see how the tool works.
Note: The possibility to use the Test tool is not included in the first free giveaway.
When you are ready to pick a winner, the system will allow you to finalize the giveaway and see the winners and alternates. If you don’t have an active Basic plan, the system will offer you the chance to purchase it.
Once you have an active Basic plan, and you're ready to pick your winners, click the "Ready! Pick the winners” button and winners will be picked randomly. Once the giveaway has been finalized, it can’t be repeated.
Finally, a window will open with a summary of the configuration of your giveaway, which you must confirm in order to continue with the process. In addition, you have the possibility to activate the option "View the random draw as an animated presentation", which will allow you to visualise the process of selection of winners and alternates in the form of an animated presentation, more visual and graphic. See an example.
Step 6. Prepare to announce the winners
Congratulations! The giveaway has been successfully completed. You’ll see a screen with the results displayed. Now you can start thinking about publishing the winners and awarding the prizes.
A. "Winners and Alternates" Section:
Here you’ll see the list of winners and alternates. From this section you will also be able to do the following actions:
- Send a notification to the winner by clicking on the envelope icon. This option allows you to send a response to the comment of the user that has been selected to inform the user that he is the winner of the giveaway.
- Manage the winners to change them if necessary. If for any reason the user who has been the winner cannot receive the prize, by clicking on the "Manage" button you can make a substitution for one of the alternates.
B. "Winners Publication" Section:
When you finalize the contest, the tool generates two very important web addresses that you should know about:
- URL of the Certificate of Validity. A Certificate of Validity is produced automatically, confirming that the giveaway has been carried out once only and at random. This certificate uniquely identifies the giveaway, and it can’t be modified. Share this URL when announcing the winners so that participants can see the contest has been valid and fair.
- URL of the Winners Page. Easypromos also generates a microsite to announce winners and alternates. This makes it easier to share the results of the giveaway. You can customize this page to adapt it to your brand and needs.
- Broadcast mode. This option allows you to present the results of a giveaway in an animated format to show the winners in a more fun way and add a point of surprise and fun to your draws. This option is only available with the Basic PRO plan or higher. More information.
These are the elements that you can customize:
C. "Claim Your Prize” Section:
Do you want winners to be able to claim the prize and confirm their details? On this page, you can configure and enable a special module to better manage the awarding of prizes. The winning participant can access a Winners Page to confirm their details and claim their prize.
To enable it, click on the "Enable" button and follow the steps indicated in this tutorial to customize all module options.
Step 7. Announce the winners
When the Winners Page is ready, share it on social media. You can ucopy and share the URL of the Winners Page directly.
Step 8. Notify the winners
In the “What's next?” section, you’ll find an option to send notifications to the winners directly. They will appear as replies to the original comments published by winners on the YouTube video:
Step 9. Manage winners and alternates
From the “Winners and alternates” section you’ll be able to:
- See whether the winners have claimed their prizes, and view any personal details they’ve supplied.
- Manage the prize winners and substitute them for alternates if necessary.
- Download all the information supplied by prizewinners to a file.