You can use Easypromos to run giveaways and contests for users who comment on a YouTube video on your channel.
The YouTube Sweepstakes App enables you to import the comments made on a video, and then run a pick-a-winner contest between the users who commented. You can publish the winners on a customized webpage, and display a Certificate of Validity to prove that the contest is transparent and fair.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to setting up and running the sweepstakes:
- Step 1. Access the Control Panel
- Step 2. Set up the basic features of your giveaway
- Step 3. Check the list of finalists and apply exclusions
- Step 4. Define the number of winners and alternates
- Step 5. Test your design and activate the giveaway
- Step 6. Prepare to announce the winners
- Step 7. Announce the winners
- Step 8. Notify the winners
- Step 9. Manage winners and alternates
Step 1. Access the Control Panel
Access the Easypromos Control Panel here. If you’re not a user yet, create an account and then open the Control Panel to create and manage your promotions.
This is what the Control Panel looks like:
A) Information about your account is in the bar at the top right. Use your account ID (preceded by #) to identify yourself when requesting help from the Support Center.
B) This is the space where all your promotions will be listed according to their status: Active Promotions, Draft Promotions, and Old Promotions.
Step 2. Set up the basic features of your giveaway
To create your YouTube giveaway, follow these steps:
1. Click on the “Create New Promotion” button to begin setting up the contest.
2. Select “Youtube Sweepstakes”:
3. Next click on "Comments":
4. The promotion set-up screen will be displayed. In Step 1, click on “Connect with Youtube” to start a session with your Google account. The tool will display all your YouTube channels, so that you can choose where you want to run the contest
Note: If this is your first YouTube sweepstakes, you must accept the app’s permissions. We just use these to find your Google accounts and show you the YouTube channels that you currently manage:
5. If you manage several YouTube channels from the same Google account, you can now select which channel you want to use for the promotion:
6. After selecting your YouTube channel, you’ll see the confirmation screen. Click “Accept and Close” to continue:
7. Once your account is linked and your YouTube channel is selected, the next step is to select the video you're going to use for the giveaway:
8. Finally, once you’ve selected the video, a giveaway will automatically be opened up to commenters.
Step 3. Check the list of finalists and apply exclusions
You should now be on the giveaway page. Below the title of your contest, you’ll find the number of participants and the options for seeing their details. You can also use this page to exclude participants from the giveaway, or add them to a blacklist.
The Easypromos tool offers several different exclusion options:
- You can blacklist users who engage in bad practices. This permanently excludes blacklisted users from all sweepstakes. You don’t need to search for them each time you run a new sweepstakes. The blacklist will always be available, as it's tied to your Easypromos administrator account.
- Exclusion of previous winners. If you’d like to prevent the same user from winning more than once, choose this option.
- Occasional exclusion. If you want to exclude a specific user from the giveaway - perhaps because they haven't complied with the guidelines - use the tool's built-in search engine to find and exclude the user manually. You can also look them up in the List of Participants at the top of the giveaway page.
- Exclusion based on comment hashtags. This option becomes available when there are hashtags in the comments. For example, if your giveaway relies on comments with hashtags, you might want to control how many hashtags participants use. Find out more about this option here.
- Exclude participations registered after a certain date. This option enables you to set a deadline for the giveaway, so that users who enter too late are prevented from participating.
Step 4. Define the numbers of winners and alternates
Choose how many winners you need to obtain, and how many alternates. We recommend always requesting alternates, because it makes it easier and faster to manage the prize giving process.
Click on "Continue" and you’ll be taken to the Test Page. From here you can carry out a test to check whether the sweepstakes is working correctly, and see how the winners will be displayed afterwards.
Step 5. Test your design and activate the giveaway
Before using the tool to pick a winner at random, you have the chance to carry out various tests to see how the tool works.
Clicking on the “Ready! Run sweepstakes” button will activate the random selection of winners. Once the contest has been carried out, it can’t be repeated.
Step 6. Prepare to announce the winners
Congratulations! The giveaway has been successfully completed. You’ll see a screen with the results displayed. Now you can start thinking about publishing the winners and awarding the prizes.
A. "Winners and Alternates" Section:
Here you’ll see the list of winners and alternates. You can also manage the awarding of prizes, and exchange winners for alternates if necessary.
B. "Claim Your Prize” Section:
Do you want winners to be able to claim the prize and confirm their details? On this page, you can configure and enable a special module to better manage the awarding of prizes. The winning participant can access a Winners Page to confirm their details and claim their prize.
C. "Winners Publication" Section:
When you finalize the contest, the tool generates two very important web addresses that you should know about:
- URL of the Certificate of Validity. A Certificate of Validity is produced automatically, confirming that the sweepstakes has been carried out once only and at random. This certificate uniquely identifies the giveaway, and it can’t be modified. Share this URL when announcing the winners so that participants can see the contest has been valid and fair.
- URL of the Winners Page. Easypromos also generates a microsite to announce winners and alternates. This makes it easier to share the results of the giveaway. You can customize this page to adapt it to your brand and needs.
Click on the pencil icon to edit the Winners Page and customize it to your liking:
Step 7. Announce the winners
When the Winners Page is ready, announce it across all your social networks. You can use the “Share” button, or just copy and share the URL of the Winners Page.
Step 8. Notify the winners
In the “Winners publication” section, you’ll find an option to send notifications to the winners directly. They will appear as replies to the original comments published by winners on the YouTube video:
Step 9. Manage winners and alternates
From the “Winners and alternates” section you’ll be able to:
- See whether the winners have claimed their prizes, and view any personal details they’ve supplied.
- Manage the prize winners and substitute them for alternates if necessary.
- Download all the information supplied by prizewinners to a file.