The 'Pick-A-Winner App' lets you import a list of users from a CSV or text file and run a giveaway contest among them, selecting one or more winners at random. The application provides you with a certificate of validity confirming that the selection process was carried out entirely at random. It also gives you the opportunity to announce the winners on a microsite, and get an exclusive URL to publish the result. If your list includes the email addresses of the participants, you can use the 'Claim your prize' system to confirm their data and simplify the prize fulfillment process.
What you should know before starting:
- The "Pick-a-winner" app is available for accounts with an active Basic plan, which can be:
- Basic plan (29€ / $29 month): limited to giveaways with a maximum of 5.000 participants.
- Basic PRO plan (49€ / $49 month): limited to giveaways with a maximum of 100.000 participants.
- The Pick-a-winner app is limited to giveaways with a maximum of 100,000 participants. For competitions with a larger number, contact our sales team via this link.
Here is a step-by-step guide to running this type of giveaway:
- Step 1. Access the Control Panel
- Step 2. Configure the basic features of the giveaway
- Step 3. Check the list of finalists and apply exclusions
- Step 4. Define the numbers of winners and alternates
- Step 5. Run a test and activate the giveaway
- Step 6. Prepare to announce the winners
- Step 7. Manage the winners and alternates
Step 1. Access the Control Panel
Access the Easypromos Control Panel via this link: http://admin.easypromosapp.com. If you are not a user yet, you have to create an account. Then you can access the Control Panel to create and manage your promotions.
This is your Control Panel:
A) Your account information is in the top right bar. Use your account ID (preceded by the # symbol) to identify yourself if you need to request help from the Support Center.
B) This is where your promotions will be listed and classified according to their status: Active Promotions, Draft Promotions, and Old Promotions.
Step 2. Configure the basic features of the giveaway
Click on the “Create new promotion” button to start setting it up.
Choose the “Pick-A-Winner App” option.
You will be presented with the contest setup screen.
1. Enter the Organizer name and a title to identify your giveaway.
2. Choose where you would like to import the participants from. If you have the participants' details in a .CSV or .TXT file, you can use the "FILE.CSV" button. If the data is in an Excel file (.XLS or .XLSX), we recommend that you use the copy and paste tools.
Select the file you're going to use, or copy and paste the information in the appropriate box. Click “Import”.
Please note: Once the file has been imported, it's not possible to modify or replace it. If you need to use another file or a modified version of the file, you should start over and create a new giveaway.
3. Once you've imported the data from the file, in Step 3 you will see the import options:
1. If the imported file has headers, activate this option and it will be easier for you to identify and manage the columns.
2. By default, information will be presented with the most suitable tabulation. Change the settings if the information is not separated by columns as it should be.
3. You can preview how the data is being imported. Not all the records are shown; you will only see a sample. The last entry on the list will be included, to give you an idea of the total number of rows/users.
4. You can use the "Combine fields" option, which allows you to combine columns in the display field. For example, if the CSV file includes "NAME" and "SURNAME" columns, with the "Combine fields" option you will be able to show the full names of participants.
5. Main field. This is the field used to identify the participant. It’s the one used for the random selection of the winners and for identifying duplicates. By default, the tool will present you with the field considered most suitable. We suggest you make it the 'email' field. Using the email field enables you to contact users easily and activate the "Claim Your Prize" system, in order to identify the winners and request further information from them.
6. Display field. This field will be used to publicly display the participants/winners.
7. Field with number of entries. If you want to permit additional entries to the giveaway, you can include a column in your CSV file to indicate the number of additional entries for each participant on the list.
8. The tool will ask you how it should behave if it finds identical records in the main field. These can either be ignored or counted as additional entries.
Note: if you have a file that includes the fields 'name' and 'email', we recommend that you indicate the name as 'display field' and the email as 'main field'. Configure the giveaway by adjusting these options and clicking “Import” to start the winner selection process.
Step 3. Check the list of finalists and apply exclusions
You’re on the page of the open giveaway. Beneath the title, you’ll find the number of participants and options for viewing the data in the list. From here, you’ll also be able to exclude participants from the giveaway or add them to your permanent blacklist.
Select the 'Exclude blacklisted users' option if you want the exclusion to be applied.
Step 4. Define the number of winners and alternates
Next, indicate how many winners and how many alternate winners you want to select. We recommend that you always request alternate winners; this will ensure that administering the prize is easier and more efficient. Clicking on "Continue" will take you to the Test Page.
Step 5. Activate the sweepstakes
Once you are ready to carry out the draw, the system will allow you to finish it in order to obtain the winners and alternates. In case you don't have a monthly plan, depending on the number of entries included in the list, the system will ask you to purchase one plan or another in order to activate it. Check the prices of the "Pick-a-winner app" here.
Once the purchase has been made, and just before carrying out the random draw, you'll have the opportunity to carry out various tests to see how the tool works. When you are ready to finish the draw, click on the "Ready! Pick the winners" and the draw will be carried out randomly.
Step 6. Prepare to announce the winners
Congratulations! The giveaway has been completed and you should now see a screen with the results. Now you can start thinking about announcing the winners and preparing to award the prizes.
A. "Winners and Alternates" section:
Here you'll see the list of winners and alternates. You can manage the prize winners from this page, and change them if needed.
B. Notify the winners:
In this section you will find the option for directly notifying prizewinners (as long as you have their email addresses). To do so, follow the steps below:
1. Click on the envelope icon: 2. Draft the text that you wish your winner/s to receive. Now send it. When the winner/s have been notified, the icon will turn green:
Note: If you have activated the “Claim your prize” module, the default text of the email will lead to the “Claim your prize” URL.
C. "Claim your prize" section:
Do you want the winners to be able to confirm their details and claim their prize? You can set up and activate this section to aid in the prize-awarding process. This way, users who visit the Winners Page will be able to claim the prize on their screens, verifying their details and confirming that they're interested in receiving their reward. Here we explain more about how to use this tool and the opportunities it provides.
D. "Winners publication" section:
In carrying out the contest, the tool will have generated two very important web addresses:
- Certificate of Validity URL. A certificate of validity has been produced, confirming that the contest took place just once and at random. The certificate can’t be modified and it uniquely identifies a specific contest. Share this URL when announcing the prizewinners, to ensure that participants can see the giveaway has been fair and transparent.
- Winners Page URL. A microsite displaying the winners and alternates has also been created, making it much easier for you to announce the results. You can customize this page to adapt it to your brand and needs.
Click on the pencil icon to edit the Winners Page and customize it to fit your needs:
These are the elements that you can customize:
Step 7. Manage the winners and alternates
From the 'Winners and alternates' section you’ll be able to:
- See who has claimed their prizes and view the personal data they’ve provided.
- Manage the prizewinners, substituting them if necessary.
- Download all the information provided by prizewinners to a file.
If you follow these steps, your giveaway should go perfectly!