The 'Pick-A-Winner App' helps you to import a list of users from a CSV or text file and run a giveaway contest between them, selecting one or more winners at random. The application provides you with a certificate of validity confirming that the selection process was carried out entirely at random. It also gives you the opportunity to announce the winners on a microsite, and get an exclusive URL to publish the result. If your list includes the email addresses of the participants, you can use the 'Claim your prize' system to confirm their data and simplify administering the prize.
Note: The Pick-a-winner app is limited to giveaways with a maximum of 100,000 participants. For competitions with a larger number, contact our sales team through this link.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to running this type of giveaway:
- Step 1. Access the Control Panel
- Step 2. Configure the basic features of the giveaway
- Step 3. Check the list of finalists and apply exclusions
- Step 4. Define the numbers of winners and alternates
- Step 5. Run a test and activate the giveaway
- Step 6. Prepare to announce the winners
Step 1. Access the Control Panel
Access the Easypromos Control Panel via this link: http://admin.easypromosapp.com. If you are not a user yet, you'll have to create an account. Then you can access the Control Panel to create and manage your promotions.
This is your Control Panel:
A) Your account information is in the top right bar. Use your account ID (preceded by the # symbol) to identify yourself if you need to request help from the Support Center.
B) This is where your promotions will be listed and classified according to their status: Active Promotions, Draft Promotions, and Old Promotions.
Step 2. Configure the basic features of the giveaway
Click on the “Create new promotion” button to start setting it up.
Choose the “Pick-A-Winner App” option.
You will be presented with the contest setup screen.
1. Enter the Organizer name and a title to identify your giveaway.
2. Choose where you would like to import the participants from. If you have the participants' details in a .CSV or .TXT file, you can use the "FILE.CSV" button. If the data is in an Excel file (.XLS or .XLSX), we recommend that you use the copy and paste tools.
Select the file you're going to use, or copy and paste the information in the appropriate box. Click “Import”.
3. Once you've imported the information from the file, you will be presented with the importation options in Step 3:
1. If the imported file has headers, activate this option and it will be easier for you to identify and manage the columns.
2. By default, information will be presented with the most suitable tabulation. Change the settings if the information is not separated by columns as it should be.
3. You can preview how the data is being imported. Not all the records are shown; you will only see a sample. The last entry on the list will be included, to give you an idea of the total number of rows/users.
4. You can use the "Combine fields" option, which allows you to combine columns in the display field. For example, if the CSV file includes "NAME" and "SURNAME" columns, with the "Combine fields" option you will be able to show the full names of participants.
5. Main field. This is the field used to identify the participant. It’s the one used for the random selection of the winners and for identifying duplicates. By default, the tool will present you with the field considered most suitable. We suggest you make it the 'email' field. Using the email field enables you to contact users easily and activate the "Claim Your Prize" system, in order to identify the winners and request further information from them.
6. Display field. This field will be used to publicly display the participants/winners.
7. Field with number of entries. If you want to permit additional entries to the giveaway, you can include a column in your CSV file to indicate the number of additional entries for each participant on the list.
8. The tool will ask you how it should behave if it finds identical records in the main field. These can either be ignored or counted as additional entries.
Note: if you have a file that includes the fields 'name' and 'email', we recommend that you indicate the name as 'display field' and the email as 'main field'.
Configure the giveaway by adjusting these options and clicking “Import” to start the winner selection process.
Step 3. Check the list of finalists and apply exclusions
You’re on the page of the open giveaway. Beneath the title you’ll find the number of participants and options for viewing the data in the list. From here, you’ll also be able to exclude participants from the giveaway, or add them to your permanent blacklist.
Select the 'Exclude blacklisted users' option if you want the exclusion to be applied.
Step 4. Define the number of winners and alternates
Next, indicate how many winners and how many alternate winners you want to select. We recommend that you always request alternate winners; this will ensure that administering the prize is easier and more efficient.
Clicking on "Continue" will take you to the Test Page.
Step 5. Run a test and activate the giveaway
Before running the random selection of winners, you'll have the opportunity to carry out various tests to see how the tool works.
Clicking on “Select winners” will activate the random giveaway. Once the contest has been activated, it cannot be repeated.
Step 6. Prepare to announce the winners
Congratulations! The giveaway has been completed and you should now see a screen with the results. Now you can start thinking about announcing the winners and preparing to award the prizes.
In carrying out the contest, the tool will have generated two very important web addresses:
- Certificate of Validity URL. A certificate of validity has been produced, confirming that the contest took place just once and at random. The certificate can’t be modified and it uniquely identifies a specific contest. Share this URL when announcing the prizewinners, to ensure that participants can see the giveaway has been fair and transparent.
- Winners Page URL. A microsite displaying the winners and alternates has also been created, making it much easier for you to announce the results. You can customize this page to adapt it to your brand and needs.
On this page, you will find a number of options to help you manage the winners. We recommend working through the following options:
1. Customize the Winners Page
In the section entitled 'Announcing the winners’, click on the pencil icon to edit the Winners Page and customize it to fit your needs.
2. Enable and configure the 'Claim your prize' system.
Do you want winners to be able to claim their prize and confirm their details? If the platform has access to the email addresses of entrants, because you imported them when you set up the giveaway, then you can activate the "Claim your prize" module. This means that the winning entrant will be able to claim the prize and confirm his/her details on the Winners Page. Activate this system for a more efficient administration of prizes. Here we explain more about how to use this tool and the opportunities it provides.
3. Notify the winners
In the section entitled ‘Winners publication' you will find two options for directly notifying prizewinners (as long as you have their email addresses). These are the envelope icon and the ‘NOTIFY THE WINNERS’ button.
Draft the text that you wish your winner/s to receive. Now send it. When the winner/s have been notified, the icon will turn green:
Note: If you have activated the “Claim your prize” module, the default text of the email will lead to the “Claim your prize” URL.
4. Announce the winners.
Once you have everything ready, it’s time to share the Winners Page. You can use the “Share" button, or just copy and share the URL of the Winners Page directly.
5. Manage the winners and alternates
From the 'Winners and alternates' section you’ll be able to:
- See who has claimed their prizes and view the personal data they’ve provided.
- Manage the prizewinners, substituting them if necessary.
- Download all the information provided by prizewinners to a file.
If you follow these steps, your giveaway should go perfectly!