Before launching a promotion, it's important to make sure that the promotion shows and works correctly. To do so, all promotions include the tool "Test Mode" which allows the administrator to carry out real tests of the promotion. This means that they can participate in the promotion just like the participants will do once the promotion is activated, and test that the promotion works as expected. That way, they can make changes to the promotion if necessary before launching.
After testing and disabling the Test Mode, the system will automatically delete all the test data and reset the promotion so it's ready for launch.
Additionally, the administrator can share the promotion in Test Mode with users that are not admins of the promotion, for example, the client, an external collaborator, the graphic designer, their manager, etc. so they can test the promotion and see what it looks like. To do so, the administrator can create invitation links to send to the external users they want to give access to the Test Mode, and the users will have 2 hours to test the promotion.
Below, we will go through the features of the Test Mode tool as Q&As.
The "Test Mode" tool is available in all types of applications created in the Premium and White label versions and is available only while the promotion is in draft mode.
Note: Test Mode is not available in the app "Entry Form Giveaway" in Basic version, nor in the Giveaways.
How can I access Test Mode?
When the promotion is still in draft mode, the option "Enable test mode" will appear on the management page of the promotion, underneath the "Activate Promotion" button.
When you click on it, the management page of the promotion will show a message in a red box that indicates that the status of the promotion has been changed and that you're in Test Mode.
When the Test Mode is enabled, you can access it just by opening the URL of the promotion:
Note: the Test Mode simulates that the promotion is already open even though the dates are set to later, iso that you can test all the features as if it was the live promotion.
What do I need to take into account when I want to activate the promotion?
Once the promotion has been activated, it is not possible to access Test Mode. In order to activate the promotion, Test Mode must be disabled:
When Test Mode is disabled, the system automatically deletes all the actions and records done when testing the promotion, like:
- Participant records
- Sent emails
- Assigned prizes
Who has access to the Test Mode?
By default, to be able to access the Test Mode of the promotion, the user must have permission to access the promotion and be logged in to the Easypromos panel. In this case, when you open the URL of the promotion, it will open with a tag that indicates that it's in Test Mode.
If the user is not logged in to the Easypromos control panel or doesn't have permission to access the promotion, when they open the URL they will see a white screen with a message saying that they're trying to access the Test Mode of a promotion they don't have permissions to.
How can I share the Test Mode with external users?
The administrator can share the promotion in Test Mode with users that are not admins of the promotion, for example, the client, an external collaborator, the graphic designer, their manager, etc. so they can test the promotion and see what it looks like.
To do so, the administrator can create invitation links to send to the external users they want to give access to the Test Mode. These users don't need to create an Easypromos account to access the promotion in Test Mode.
To share the promotion in Test Mode with external users, follow these steps:
1. When the Test Mode is enabled, click on the option "Create an invitation":
2. When you click there, a pop-up will open where you can create the invitation. You can create up to 3 different invitation links. When the link is generated, it is valid for 24 hours.
3. Once the users accepted the invitation, they can access the Test Mode of the promotion during the next two hours:
Which features can be tested?
Test Mode allows to test real participation in the promotion and it's possible to test the following features:
- Complete registration process including filling in the registration form, answering quiz questions, playing a game.
- Upload images in the registration form, and also video files (with the Video Hosting extension).
- Vote in a contest with voting enabled.
- Send emails through the Email Platform.
- Assign prizes of the type "On participating", "Spinning the wheel" and "Instant Win".
- Multi-participation in the promotions that have the login system activated.
Which features can't be tested?
Test Mode does not allow to test the following features:
- Share the promotion.
- Dropbox synchronization of the photos/videos in the contest.
- Mention + Hashtag monitoring.
- Validation portal to validate codes given in the promotion.
- Prize assignment through a random draw.
- Autologin API
- REST API
- Zapier integration
Is it possible to use Test Mode to preview the promotion on a mobile device?
Yes, you will be able to preview the promotion on mobile using the Test Mode tool. To do this, when accessing the Test Mode you can select the "Preview on mobile" view to check how the promotion will look from mobile phones:
Is it possible to use Test Mode to test the promotion embedded in the Widget?
Yes, if you want to integrate the promotion into your own web page using the Easypromos widgets, the administrator can test the embedded promotion with the Widget while it is still in draft using the Test Mode.
To do this, you will need to follow these steps:
- Make sure that the Test Mode is enabled in the promotion.
- Configure and place the Widget code on the web page where you want to present the promotion.
- Open a browser window and log in to the Easypromos dashboard.
- In the same browser window where you have logged in as administrator of the promotion, open a new tab and open the web page where you have embedded the Widget.
In this way, the system will detect the open session as administrator of the promotion, so you can see it in Test Mode but in the environment of our website.
Does the email platform work while the promotion is in Draft mode?
Yes, the Email Platform is already enabled although the promotion is still in draft mode. However, for security reasons, all emails created on the Email Platform will always be sent to the email address of the agent who created the promotion.
In this way, whenever there are emails configured, when participating in the promotion using the Test Mode tool, the emails will always be sent to the email of the agent who created the promotion.
This means that the emails will not be sent to the address specified by the user at the time of participating and testing.
- In the case of login via email, the verification email will be sent to the agent who created the promotion.
- In case there is an automatic email configured to be sent when the user wins a direct prize, the email will be sent to the creator of the promotion instead of the participating user who ran the test.
- In case there is an automatic email configured to be sent after registering, the email will be sent to the creator of the promotion, instead of the participating user who registered and ran the test.
To run tests including sending the emails to the user’s email addresses, it will be necessary to activate the promotion and do the final tests with the promotion already activated.