The User Segments feature allows the administrator to apply tags to the participants in the promotions to create groups of users. You can create several user segments according to the criteria you need. With this feature, you can apply specific actions to the created user segments.
Here are two possible examples of usage of the user segments:
- Restrict the access to a participation stage to the users of the segment so that users who are not in this segment, can’t participate in the stage.
- Give additional entries in a prize draw depending on the segment of the user.
In this tutorial, we will explain how the user segments work, how you can create them and add users to the segments, as well as all the actions that you can apply to the user segments.
Note: The user segments feature is only available for clients with an active White Label or a Corporate plan. The user segments are not available in White Label promotions that have been activated by paying for a single promotion.
This is the content of this tutorial:
1. General overview of how the user segments work
- You can create as many user segments as you want and give each of them a name, an internal reference, and a color. This allows you to easily see the users that belong to a segment in the list of users of the promotion.
- You can configure each segment with 3 different reach levels:
- Promotion level: The segment will only be available for a specific promotion.
- Organizing brand level: The segment will be available for all the promotions with a specific organizing brand assigned to them.
- Account level: The segment will be available for all the promotions of the account.
- You can create the segments manually from the list of users of the promotion by using the available filter tools, or you can create them automatically through the Autologin system where you can use your own segments (this option is only available for clients with a Corporate account).
- You can easily manage the segments created in your account from the “Organizing brands” section in your control panel where all the segments are listed and grouped by reach level, with the options to edit or delete.
- To be able to assign a user segment, you first need to create the segment. So when you want to assign a segment to a user, you will see all the available segments so you can select the one you need.
- You can add users to segments manually in active and in expired promotions. Example: If you add a user to an account-level segment, this user will appear in this segment in all present and future promotions.
- You can assign segments automatically to new participating users through the Autologin API.
2. Creating and setting up the segments
How to create segments
You can create user segments from three different places as we will explain below:
1. From the user list of a promotion
In the “Users” section of a promotion, is the list of all the participants in the promotion. From here, the administrator will be able to filter the users that they want to group in a segment, and in case the segment has not been created yet, the administrator will have the option to create a new one:
Note: A segment created from the user list of a promotion can be set up with any of the three reach levels. Click here for more information about reach levels you can apply to the segments.
2. From the promotion Editor
In the Participation stage section of the promotion, the administrator will find the "Segments" tab, which allows you to restrict participation to users belonging to a specific segment.
When you enable the "Segments" option, a list of the segments that the administrator has created in your account will appear, and you will also see a button to create a new segment:
Note: A segment created from the promotion editor will be created with the ‘promotion’ reach level, so this user segment will only be available for the promotion where the segment was created. Click here for more information about reach levels you can apply to the segments.
3. From the “Organizing brands” management section of the account
All the segments created in an Easypromos account are collected in the Organizing Brands > Segments section of the control panel. From there, the administrator can also create a new user segment:
Note: A segment created from the “Organizing brands” management section can be created with two reach levels: organizing brand or account. Click here for more information about reach levels you can apply to the segments.
When clicking on "Create a new segment", the following configuration options will appear:
1. Segment name: This is the name that appears on the segment label.
2. Reference: By default, the segment name is used as the reference but it can be modified. It is this internal reference that is used when using the Autologin API for the automatic assignment of the segments. Digits, lowercase characters, underscores, and hyphens are supported.
3. Color: It’s the color of the segment label that allows to visually identify the segment a user belongs to. This way, the users in a segment will appear with the name and the color of the segment, both in the list of users and in the detail of their participation:
4. Segment reach: This allows you to define the reach level of the segment:
- Promotion level: The segment is only available for one promotion, so the segment can only be used in the promotion where it was created.
- Organizing brand level: The segment is available for all promotions of a specific organizing brand so that the segment can be used for all users of any promotion belonging to the same organizing brand. Example: If we apply a segment to a user with an organizing brand reach level, it means that this user will automatically appear with the same segment label in any promotion from the same organizing brand.
- Account level: The segment is available for all promotions in the account so that the segment can be applied to users of any promotion that belongs to the account, regardless of the organizing brand. Example: If we apply a segment to a user with an account level reach, it means that this user will automatically appear with the same segment label in any promotion in the account.
3. How to assign a segment to the users
You can assign a segment to the users in two ways:
- Manual assignment from the list of promotion users.
- Automatic assignment via Autologin (option only available for Corporate accounts).
Here are the steps you'll need to follow to assign a segment to users manually:
1. Access the "Users" section of the promotion:
2. Next, locate the users you want to group into a segment. You can use the filter tools available in this section to locate the list of users you want to add to the segment.
Example: All the users that I have previously marked with a star.
3. Finally, click on the "Apply an action to the filtered users" option. A pop-up window will open where the option "Add segment" will appear. Click the "Apply" button and confirm the action.
4. After applying the action, you will see the segment name and color in the list of users.
In the following video you can see the steps in more detail:
Automatic assignment (only available for Corporate accounts)
The Autologin system allows users from an external system to be sent to the Easypromos promotion so that users participate directly in the promotion skipping the login and registration process of the promotion. In this case, it’s possible to pass a parameter via Autologin that allows registering users or logging in users with a segment already assigned from the beginning.
Example: The client has identified and segmented registered users in its own app or system with the reference "members". In this case, you can pass the reference of the user segment via Autologin to the promotion, so that when a user belonging to this segment registers in the promotion, they will appear identified with the segment reference in the list of users.
Below we explain the practical examples of how you can use the user segments:
1. Limit a stage to users belonging to one or more segments
Do you want to organize a dynamic where only a specific group of users can participate? With the user segments system, you can limit participation in a specific stage to the users of the segment that you want.
Example: We create a stage of the type "Prize Wheel" and restrict it to users belonging to the "VIP Members" segment. Only users belonging to this segment will be able to access the stage and participate in it.
To limit the participation in a stage to a specific user segment, following these steps:
1. Access the Editor > Pages > Participation stages > Segments section, and check the option "Limit participation to a segment of users".
2. Next, you will be able to select one or more user segments.
3. Finally, you can configure the behavior of the promotion for cases when users who are not part of the selected segment or segments access the promotion. Specifically, you can choose between two different actions:
- Hide the stage: the stage that is limited to a specific segment of users will not be visible to users who do not belong to the segment.
- Disable the stage: the stage that is limited to a specific segment of users will be visible but it will be disabled for users who do not belong to the segment, so they will not be able to access it. If you select this option, you can customize the message that will appear if these users try to access the stage.
That way, when accessing the promotion, first users must identify themselves through one of the login methods defined by the administrator. Then, if the user belongs to the segment that the stage has been restricted to, they can continue with the participation process. Otherwise, they will not be able to access or participate.
2. Apply filters based on segments in the list of users
From the "Users" section of the promotion, the administrator will be able to use the full potential of the filter tools available to apply actions to the created user segments. Some of the actions that can be carried out are:
- Search by a user segment, or by multiple user segments.
- Search for users who do not belong to any segment.
- Apply actions on the user segment, such as:
- Assign a manual prize or run a prize draw tool to randomly assign a prize
- Export the list of users in the segment to a .CSV file
- Send an email to the list of users in the segment
- Mark/Unmark users
- Add to a segment or remove the segment they belong to
3. Carry out a random draw and give additional entries to users who belong to a segment
You can reward users in a specific segment with additional entries in the random prize draw.
Example: We carry out a final draw among all the users who have registered in the promotion, but we give 5 additional entries to the users in the "VIP Members" segment so that the users who belong to this segment will have more chances of winning.
To do this, the “Winners” tool provides the option of managing additional entries based on different criteria, among which we can find the option of giving X additional entries to users who belong to a specific segment.
4. Create an email and filter the recipients so that it is only sent to users in a specific segment [Coming soon]
Soon, the Emails and Notifications Platform 2.0 will include a new recipient filter for a specific user segment. This way, the administrators will be able to make the most of the Email Platform which allows them to send emails to the users of their promotions, for example, automatic emails after registering or completing a participation stage, customizing the content of the email, write the content of the email and the subject using variables, etc.
5. Managing the segments
The segments created in the account can be easily managed from the "Organizing Brands" section of the control panel, where all the segments grouped by reach level will appear, with options to edit and delete.
From the "Organizing Brands" section you can:
- See a list of all the segments, which are grouped by their reach:
- Organizing brand
- Edit the properties of a segment: change the name or reference of the segment, the color of the label, and the reach of the segment (Note: in the case of a segment with account reach, it’s not possible to reduce the reach of the segment to organizing brand or promotion, so you would have to delete the segment and create a new one)
- Delete segments
- Create a new segment