Functionality available with a White Label or Corporate subscription plan.
Easypromos promotion links have the following format: https://a.cstmapp.com/p/12346
- a.cstmapp.com: is the domain of the link
- 123456: is the unique identifier code (ID) of the promotion.
In this tutorial, we explain how to configure your own domain for the links of the promotions. In other words, how to replace a.cstmapp.com with your own domain.
To do so, the Easypromos account administrator must connect their own domain. If your account does not have any domain connected, the promotion URLs will be linked to the Easypromos default domains which are: easypromosapp.com or cstmapp.com.
For instance, if you create a new promotion with ID#987654, its default link will be:
- Without your own domain connected: https://a.cstmapp.com/p/987654
- If you have the domain “app.mydomain.com” connected: https://app.mydomain.com/p/987654 (*)
(*)You can also configure the connected domain to display the promotion by directly accessing https://app.mydomain.com without the promotion ID reference. We explain how to do this further on.
Configuring your own domain will help you with:
- Communicating and sharing your promotions with a URL that includes your brand name.
- Not showing any reference to the Easypromos brand in the promotion links.
- Avoiding restrictions of third-party cookies, in case you want to embed the promotion widget on your website.
The contents of the tutorial are organized as follows:
1. Functionalities and characteristics
To use your own domain in the links of the promotions, 2 actions must be carried out
- The admin user must first connect a domain to the account. The number of domains that can be connected will depend on the subscription plan of the account.
- The agent who creates and configures the promotions must link a connected domain in their promotions. The link can be automatic when creating a new promotion, or manually from the promotion management page.
These are the main features of the domain functionality:
1.1. Scope of the connected domain
When connecting a new domain to the account, the administrator will now be able to define its scope, which will determine which promotions in the account can be linked to the domain.
You can define one of the 3 following scopes:
- Global: all account promotions can be linked to the domain. Example: contests.mybusiness.com.
- By organizing brand: all promotions of a specific organizing brand can be linked to the domain. Example: an agency that manages multiple clients may apply a domain per client: contests.myclient1.com, contests.myclient2.com, etc.
- Applied to a specific promotion: only a specific promotion can be linked to the domain. Example: a promotion for a specific event: MyChristmasContest.com
1.2. Domain default view
A domain with a global scope or applied to an Organizing Brand can be linked to multiple promotions. The promotion ID of the promotion link is the one that will determine which promotion to display (https://contests.mybusiness.com/p/987654).
What content should then be displayed in case the user directly types and enters the domain or subdomain URL without a promotion ID (https://contest.mybusiness.com)? This is a property of the connected domain called "Default View" and can be configured by the account administrator.
You can decide between the following options:
- Show a specific promotion: The ID of one of the promotions in your account may be indicated. The domain will display the content of the promotion.
- Automatically redirects to a specific URL: 301 redirection to the link that you will indicate. You can configure an external URL.
- Show an HTML content. Use the editor tool to create an HTML page with a personalized message.
- [Coming soon] List of active promotions. A landing page will be displayed, which you will be able to customize -both at the design and behavior level- with direct access to the active promotions linked to the domain.
1.3. SSL Certificate support
When connecting a domain to the account, the SSL certificate for HTTPS support will be generated automatically. The issuance of new SSL certificates and their renewal is immediate and automatic and it's included in the subscription plan.
SSL certificates are issued through the OpenSource Certification Authority, Let's Encrypt. We do not support the option for the client to upload their own SSL certificates.
1.4. Domain Alias Support
A domain alias allows you to automatically redirect all your traffic to a primary domain.
For example, if the administrator connects the domain christmascontest.com , they can also connect the subdomain "www.christmascontest.com" as an alias, so that if a user tries and accesses with "www", they will automatically be redirected to the main domain without the “www".
Both "www.christmascontest.com" and "christmascontest.com" domains should be added and configured in the account, in this way.
1.5. Deactivation and reactivation of domains
Unused domains can be deactivated; deactivated domains will not count toward the maximum number of domains connected to the account. The number of domains connected to the account is limited by the type of plan used. At any time you can reactivate a domain.
2. Prices and limitations
Only the White Label or the Corporate plans support the Domains tool. In this way, it won’t be possible to add your own domain in a promotion that you plan on activating individually, without a subscription (monthly or annually).
Once you have connected your domain in your account, the domain can only be linked to promotions created in the White Label version.
Promotions created in the Premium or Basic version cannot be linked to your own domain.
Depending on the contracted plan, the following number of connected domains will be available. You can also purchase more domains in your account:
- White Label Plan: Includes 1 domain.
- Corporate Plan: Includes 5 domains.
In case you need to connect more domains, you can buy additional domain spots. The cost is 20€/$ per month for each additional domain. To add new domains, contact the Easypromos team.
3. How to connect and configure a domain to the account
Next, we detail the steps the account administrator will need to follow to connect a domain:
2. Click the "Connect domain" button. A pop-up will open where you must configure the following options:
- Domain name
- Domain scope, which may be:
- Global: all promotions in the account will be able to link to the domain.
- By Organizing brand: All promotions of a specific organizing brand will be able to link to the domain.
3. Next, you will need to verify the domain. A domain can only be verified if you have configured the domain's DNS and created an A record. The instructions for the configuration with your domain provider are the following:
1. Log into your domain provider to manage the DNS records.
2. Create an A record for the domain or subdomain that you are setting up.
3. Set the A record to point to the IP address: 184.108.40.206.
Once you have configured the DNS, click the Verify button to continue.
4. Once the domain is verified, you will need to configure the following domain properties
a) "Default view" option: corresponds to the content to be displayed in case of directly accessing the domain URL without specifying any promotion ID. You can configure one of the following options:
- Show a specific promotion: you can indicate the ID of the promotion of your account. The content of the promotion will be displayed when entering the domain.
- Automatically redirects to a specific URL: a 301 redirect to the indicated URL will be performed. You can include an external URL.
- Show HTML content: use the editor tool available to create an HTML page with a personalized message.
b) "Use by default": Mark this option to automatically link the domain to the new promotions that you create. This means that the default link for new promotions will be generated with this domain.
4. How to link a connected domain to a promotion
Below we detail the steps to link a domain to the promotion:
1. When creating a promotion, the system will always try and automatically link it to a default domain, if any. In this way, if you have a generic domain that you would like to use in all of your promotions (or the promotions of a specific organizing brand), under your Accounts Settings > Domains, mark the "Use by default" checkbox for the domain:
2. If needed, the agent may modify the domain linked to the promotion at any time. To do this, enter the promotion management page and click the "Manage domain" button. A popup window will open, showing the domain that is linked to the promotion by default, along with any other domain connected to the account, if any. From here, the agent can change to another domain, or select the default Easypromos domain (a.cstmapp.com):
3. Finally, if your promotion uses Social Login -Users will log in by connecting with their Facebook, Twitch, Google, or LinkedIn account- or allow users to share the promotion on their Facebook profiles, an additional step is mandatory, to configure your own domain and allow these two actions.
Please read the instructions in the following section to make sure that the social login and sharing features are correctly linked to your domain.
5. Frequently Asked Questions
How are the domains I use counted?
By default, when subscribing to your plan, you have 1 domain (in the case of White Label) or 5 (in the case of Corporate) that you can connect to your account. A domain counts as used when you connect it to your account to use it for your campaigns. Once you no longer need the domain to be active, you can deactivate it, and at that moment, the system releases the domain and stops computing it as a used domain.
How do I link a domain to a specific promotion without having to enter the promotion ID?
To connect a domain and link it to a specific promotion follow these steps:
- Go to your Account Settings > Domains and click the Connect Domain button.
- Enter the domain name and select "Global" -All Organizing Brands.
- Make sure the Default Domain option is not checked.
- Edit the domain and under Default View, select "Specific Promotion" and select your promotion.
Can I use Easypromos domains?
Yes, by default, when creating a promotion in the White Label version, it is linked to Easypromos' own domain a.cstmapp.com. In case you have your own domain connected and it is marked to be used by default, new promotions will be created with your domain.
If you want to use the Easypromos domain, you must go to the promotion management page and change the domain linked to the promotion link to the Easypromos domain.
What happens if a domain is disconnected?
If a domain is disconnected from the account, when accessing the promotion linked to the domain, it will show a "page not found" error.
A domain can be disconnected for 3 main reasons:
- Your White Label or Corporate plan was canceled and is not active anymore in your account.
- An admin has deactivated the domain for the account.
- The system has detected a change in your DNS and the domain cannot be linked correctly to your promotions.
What happens if the subscription is canceled and I have connected domains?
In case of canceling your plan while there are domains connected, these will be deactivated, and the promotions that are linked to the domains will show a "page not found" error.
How do I set up a domain alias?
Domain aliases allow you to automatically redirect all your traffic to a primary domain.
For example, if an administrator connects the domain summercontest.com, they can also connect the subdomain "www.summercontest.com" as an alias, so that if a user accesses with "www", they will automatically be redirected to the main domain without the "www".
In this example, let's assume that we already have the main domain "summercontest.com" connected, and we want to create the alias "www.summercontest.com". The alias should be created as a new domain in your account. The steps to follow are:
- Go to your Accounts Settings > Domains and click the Connect Domain button.
- Enter the domain name "www.summercontest.com" and select "Global"- All Organizing Brands.
- Make sure the Default Domain option is not checked.
- Edit the domain and, under Default View, select "Redirect to URL" and enter https://summercontest.com.
What does the warning symbol that appears on the promotion management page mean?
The following warning icon may appear on the promotion management page:
This warning appears when the promotion is linked to a domain, but the domain is not correctly configured in the account. This warning may be because of one of the following reasons:
- The domain is not verified.
- The domain was disabled.
- The domain has been removed from the account.
In this case, you must access the "Domains" tool from your accounts settings, to check the status of the domain configuration.