When the prize of a promotion is a coupon, voucher, or discount that the winners/users have to redeem in a physical store, establishment, or venue, the organizer of the promotion can make use of the “Prize redemption” tool, which will enable the organizer to check and verify the prizes at the point of sale in a secure, reliable and flexible way and without fraud.
Easypromos allows you to create promotional dynamics to distribute prizes on digital channels and to do so through interactive mechanics such as games, trivia, contests, etc. The challenge appears when these prizes are physical and must be picked up at an establishment. The prize is delivered as a digital voucher or coupon, which the user must then show at the establishment to redeem. However, it is necessary to control the fraud of these digital vouchers to prevent a user from making copies of the voucher, trying to redeem the prize multiple times, etc.
The "Prize Redemption" tool allows the company to verify the digital voucher before handing the prize to the user.
Specifically, the "Prize redemption" tool includes 2 systems to verify and redeem the prize at the point of sale:
System 1: The user redeems the digital voucher from their own mobile phone
The user will show the digital voucher to the establishment staff on their phone. The voucher will include the status of the prize redemption: (1) Active and pending redemption, (2) Redeemed or (3) Expired. If the voucher is active, the person at the establishment will ask the user to mark it as confirmed. The user must slide a confirmation button on the voucher page (and optionally put a security pin of the establishment). Once verified, the prize will be delivered to the user, and that digital voucher cannot be used anymore.
System 2: The merchant redeems the prize by entering the voucher reference through the validation portal
Additionally, the establishment may have a tool to verify digital vouchers. All vouchers come with a reference number and a QR code. Instead of letting the user mark the voucher as verified, it may be the merchant who enters the voucher reference or scans the QR code to verify it. This tool is called Validation Portal, and it is presented as a password-protected web page. Each establishment has its own password.
Note: Both systems can be combined, so that the promotion can be configured in a way that both the users from their mobile phone and the seller from the validation portal can redeem and validate the prizes.
Below we explain how the Prize Redemption tool works through the following contents:
The user has participated in a promotion in which prizes are assigned that must be collected offline in an establishment. Next, we detail how the user can redeem the prize they have won in the promotion.
1. After registering and participating in the promotion, the user sees the name and information of the prize received on the screen:
Additionally, they can also receive an email automatically after participating with the prize information and will have the prize information at hand to go to the establishment and collect their prize.
2. The user must click on the "Redeem" button that appears in the prize pop-up. In the event that the user does not redeem the prize right after participating in the promotion, they will be able to recover the "Redeem" button both in the email they have received and on the individual participation page in the promotion, which they can access at any time by logging into the promotion with the email with which they have participated.
3. By clicking on the "Redeem" button, the "Redemption Screen" will open, which they must show at the store in order to collect their prize. The redemption screen contains all the information related to the prize that the user has won (name of the prize, internal reference, promotion in which they have participated, and time available to redeem it, if any):
4. By showing the redemption screen to the merchant, the prize can be redeemed in two ways, depending on the configuration of the promotion itself:
- a) The users themselves will be the ones marking the prize as delivered by sliding the bar that appears on their redemption screen.
- b) The store employee will be the one who will verify the prize by manually entering the reference of the prize in the "Validation Portal" or scanning the QR code to access the portal.
5. After validating the prize, the system will show a confirmation message that the prize has been confirmed:
First of all, you must create the prizes that you will distribute in the promotion. The Prize Redemption tool can be used to redeem any type of prize, whether these are direct prizes upon participation (such as a coupon or promo code), prizes awarded through a Prize Wheel or Scratch Card, and even prizes assigned through a raffle.
You can create the prizes from the Editor of your promotion > General > Prizes:
Once the prizes that you plan to distribute in the promotion have been created, the next step is to enable the prize redemption tool, which will allow prizes to be delivered safely and without fraud at your point of sale.
To do this, go to the Editor > Tools > Prize redemption section. When accessing the tool, you will be presented with the two systems available to redeem the prizes at the point of sale, so that you can select the type of redemption system you want to enable to validate the prizes at the store.
- System 1: Redeem prizes using the Validation portal.
- System 2: Redeem prizes via mobile.
Note: Both systems are complementary and the promotion can be configured so that both the user from their mobile phone and the seller from the validation portal can redeem and validate the prizes.
Once the prize redemption system that you want to use has been enabled, you must then configure which prizes can be redeemed through the Prize Redemption tool. These will be the prizes that users will be able to physically pick up at the point of sale. To do this, in the List of prizes you must mark them with the following option:
Once the “redeemable” value has been applied, you can optionally configure the expiration time of the prizes, which will determine the time that users will have to go to the physical store to collect their prize. You can apply an expiration time in two different ways:
- a) Global expiration time for all promotion prizes: In this way, all promotion prizes will have the same expiration date.
- b) Individual expiration time per prize: Allows you to establish a different expiration date for each of the redeemable prizes of the promotion.
Step 3. Create the validation points
The next step is to create one or more validation points. The validation points are the physical points of sale (stores, kiosks, etc.) where users will go to redeem the prizes. You can know at which point of sale the different promotion prizes have been validated and redeemed by creating a validation point per physical place where the prizes will be distributed.
For each validation point, it is necessary to define a name, a password to access the validation portal, and a 4-digit PIN, which serves as a security measure during the prize redemption process from mobile phones.
Note: You must create at least one validation point.
There are two ways to create validation points:
1. Import the validation points from a file. The editor incorporates a tool to upload the validation points by importing them from a file. In this way, you will be able to list the validation points in a CSV file or in a text sheet and then import all the validation points at once with a simple copy/paste, and the system will generate them automatically.
Note: Follow this tutorial to see how you should work on the file and prepare it for uploading the validation points in the promotion.
2. Add the validation points manually. If you prefer, you can add each of the validation points manually. To do this, you only have to click on the "Create validation point" button. A pop-up window will open up where you should define the name of the validation point, the access password, and PIN code:
The security PIN will allow you to identify at which validation point each prize has been redeemed. In this way, when going to the point of sale, the user must enter the security PIN provided by the store on the redemption screen.
You can create as many validation points as you need, so you can create a different validation point for each store/local/physical establishment where users can go to redeem the prize.
Step 4. Customize the Redemption screen
The redemption screen is the one that the user must show when going to the point of sale to collect their prize since it presents the information related to the prize they have won (name, internal reference, expiration time, etc.).
You can customize the redemption screen with the following options:
- Main color: Background color of the screen.
- Logo: The recommended size is 500x500px.
- Campaign name By default, the Title of the promotion is shown but you can change it.
- Slider button text: Text that appears in the bar that the user will slide to mark their prize as delivered.
- Enable security pin and validation point tracking: By checking this option, the user must enter the security PIN provided by the seller before being able to mark the prize as delivered.
- Instructions: Text with the instructions that the user must follow in order to redeem the prize.
- Display "Terms and Conditions": Allows you to enable a link so that the user can check out the T&C of the promotion.
Recommendation: We strongly recommend that you activate the SECURITY PIN, since it will allow you to know the establishment where users redeemed the prize, and it will also prevent users from inadvertently marking a prize as redeemed.
Finally, the last step is to customize the design of the Validation Portal with the following options available:
- Logo (optional). The recommended size is 500x500px.
- Background image. The recommended size is 1400×788.
- Help instructions (optional). Use it to detail the instructions of use for the manager at the validation point or add a contact detail in case the employee needs support.
In addition, the following options are also available:
- Enable Redemption of codes not registered on the promotion: This option will also allow you to check and verify codes that you have distributed offline and that users present at the point of sale, in order to ensure that the prize is valid, before being able to cash it.
- Hide the option that allows validation points to undo the action of validating code: By default, employees with access to the Validation point can “unredeem” codes in case they have made a mistake. Mark this box if you do not want users of the Validation portal to be able to undo the prize validation.
- Allow adding notes to a redeemed prize. This option allows the person in charge at the validation point to add an internal note to a redeemed award. Use this "Notes" field for employees to add internal comments about the redemption of a prize (for example: product stock problems, change of product for another, etc.).
You can use the Email Platform to:
A good practice is to send an email to the winners with the information about the prize they have won. In this way, users will always have all the information regarding the prize they received at hand, as well as the option to redeem it, so that they can easily retrieve it the day they want to go to the store to collect their prize.
To create this email, use the Email Platform of your promotion, a tool that allows you to automate the sending of emails to users who participate in the promotion.
To do this, follow these steps:
1. Go to the "Emails and notifications" section of the promotion:
2. Create a new email, and select the “Upon participating” email type:
3. Configure the email with the following characteristics:
- In the "Conditions" section, you must select the "Has won a prize" filter, so this email is sent only to users who have won one.
- In the body of the email, insert the smart tag “Prize information”. This will dynamically add all the information related to the prize the user has won (name of the prize, as well as the Redeem button to open the redemption screen).
Additionally, you can also create an email that will be sent automatically to each user once they have redeemed the prize at the point of sale. Use it, for example, to confirm to a user that their prize has been redeemed correctly, or to send them additional information.
To do this, you must create a new email of the type "Upon redeeming a prize":
Under the conditions, you must also select the filter "Has won a prize" option:
Additionally, you can also send an internal notification to the promotion administrator every time a user redeems a prize with the information of the user and the prize, as well as the validation point where they redeemed it.
To do this, you must follow these steps:
1. Click the "Notifications to administrators" tab
2. Click the "Create a notification" button.
3. Create an "Upon redeeming a prize" notification:
4. In the recipient filter, you must also select the "Has won a prize" filter:
5. In the body of the email, you can use the smart tags so that the notification includes the user's information, the prize that has been redeemed, and even the validation point where the prize was delivered.
Once the promotion is over, you will be able to consult the statistics of the validations carried out and check at which validation points they have been carried out. You can see this information from three different sections:
1. From the list of validation points that you have created. For each validation point you can see the number of validations made, as well as download a file in CSV format with the list of codes validated for each validation point:
2. From the list of Users, where you can select the “Prize Redemption” tool, which will allow you to easily review the prizes that have been redeemed, as well as export the list of prizes delivered to an Excel/CSV file.
3. From the “Statistics” section of the promotion. In the "Statistics'' section, you will find more information regarding the redeemed prizes. The information available there is the following:
- Redemption Conversion Rate: Indicates how many prizes have been redeemed compared to the prizes given away in the promotion. The percentage is indicated, and it is available both by total prizes and by type of prize.
- Redemption Statistics by prize type
- Daily evolution
- By day of the week.
- By hours of the day.
- In total.
- Redemption statistics by validation point:
- In total
- Daily evolution.
- Redemption stats by Validation portal vs. slider(Via mobile phone).