Easypromos offers the option of transferring parameters from the incoming URL to data of the participating user. This way, the promotion administrator has access to a feature that allows adding identifying fields to the participants from the reference URL they used to access the promotion.
A practical example:
A brand sends a newsletter to their subscribers with the link to a survey. All users that respond to the survey will enter a prize draw. In this case, the brand will add a parameter to the survey link that identifies each user. The user will receive the newsletter and click on the link. When the users have responded to the survey, they don't need to identify by registering in the entry form, because Easypromos will read the identifying parameters in the URL and add this information to the participating user.
Note: The feature of passing URL parameters is only available in White Label version.
Characteristics of the feature
- You can add as many parameters as you wish per URL. Each parameter will become an attribute of the participant.
- The parameters can be a unique value. This means, that if this option is enabled, the system will control that there's no other user registered previously with the same value.
- It's possible to add validation rules to the parameters. Only those that have the values in the URL that pass the validation rules will be able to participate.
- The parameters can be optional.
- The user attributes that are passed as a parameter can be used to filter the participants in the admin panel of the promotion. Ie. search for the user with external reference XXX, or segment all the users with parameter values YYY.
- The user attributes that are passed as a parameter can be used to give additional entries in the draw. For example, give additional entries to all participants that have the parameter VIP = 1.
- The user attributes that are passed as a parameter are available in the participant list downloaded as CSV file and in the exportation of participants via REST API.
How to create a user field through a URL parameter
1. Go to the Editor > Entry form > Fields.
2. Add a new element of the type: "Hidden field via URL parameter".
3. Configure the options:
- Short title: The name of the attribute. This is the name of this field that you will see in the participant list.
- Hidden field via URL parameter: This is the exact name of the GET parameter that you will pass via the URL. Easypromos will review that there is a parameter in the URL accessing the promotion with exactly this name.
- Method of validation: Enable this is you want the value to be one-time use only, or you want to set validation rules by a regular expression.
- Is this field mandatory?: Check this option if this parameter is mandatory for the user to be able to enter.
In this example, the brand wants to register participants with the member ID from their community and they also want to register if a user is a VIP member or not, because the VIP members will get an additional entry in the prize draw.
To do this, the brand has created a sweepstakes with entry form and has added two Hidden fields via URL parameter:
The field 'member_id' should be a 6-digit number that can only be used by one participant.
If the URL of the promotion is: https://a.cstmapp.com/p/33129, the brand should send the following link to member no. 789001 who is a VIP member:
The user will see the URL in the address bar like this:
Note: The organizer of the promotion needs to program the URL with the dynamic parameters from their own system in accordance with the parameters of the fields created in the entry form.
If the user signs up, the organizer will see the following in the participant list:
Additionally, the administrator can filter the participant list to see, for example, which VIP members have signed up, and apply bulk actions to a specific user segment: