Tutorial: How to create a Product Recommender Follow
The “Product Recommender” app lets you ask the participating users a series of questions and depending on their preferred answers, you can show them which of your products fits them best in a customized final message where you can give them information about the recommended product.
The content of the tutorial is as follows:
How is the participation flow of the user
Create the promotion
Create the questions and answers
Give a score to each question and create the final messages
Enable the Summary page
Set up the registration form
Customize the design and finish the settings
Manage prizes and publish the winners
1. General description
With the "Product Recommender" application you will be able to offer users a question and answer test about their preferences and tastes to recommend the product that best suits them. You will be able to design the test completely to your needs, personalize it with photos, texts and videos so that the user experience is fun and entertaining and with your brand look&feel. The Product Recommender will allow you to:
- Design the questionnaire completely tailored to your needs, personalized with photos, texts and videos.
- Combine different types of answers (single answer, multiple-answer and even sortable answers).
- Create as many questions as you want, and indicate which is the correct answer to each of them.
- Enable the summary page to show the participants a summary of their answers before registering.
- Show personalized final messages according to users' answers to show them the recommended product.
- Reward participants with a final draw among all the users who have completed the test.
2. How is the participation flow of the user
What will the user experience be like? The promotion is made up of different pages that the user will find when interacting with the promotion to participate, such as: the initial welcome page, the registration page, where the user will register with their data, the final page, etc. As a whole, the different pages will make up the structure of the promotion and the flow of participation that the user will follow to complete the promotional mechanics of the promotion.
In particular, in a Product recommender, the participation flow will be as follows:
- When accessing the promotion for the first time, the user will access the Welcome page, and when clicking on the main button to start participating, the next page they will see will be the quiz page.
- The quiz page will present all the questions that the user will have to answer.
- Upon answering the last question, the user will be taken to the registration form page which they will need to fill in with all the information requested by the administrator.
- Once the registration form has been completed, the user will access the final page where they will see the customized message based on their answers in the quiz.
3. Create the promotion
How to start creating the Spin the wheel promotion? We present the following tutorial that will allow you to know the first steps to create your promotion so that you do not miss any important point. You will learn all the general management options that you have available as an administrator in your internal dashboard to manage and edit the promotion.
Discover the first steps to create my first promotion.
4. Create the questions and answers
Next, create the questions that you want to ask the participants.
1. Access the ‘Editor’ of the promotion:
2. Access the section Pages > Quiz, which is the place where you will create your questions and answers. As you can see, you will have 3 questions already created, so you can see examples of different questions:
3. Once you know the questions you want to design, click on the pencil icon to edit the contents of the question:
Next, we indicate the options that you must modify to create your question:
a) Contents of the Question:
You will see the options for editing the question, which you must complete with your own content:
You'll find the following options:
- Question text: Type the question you want to ask users here.
- Upload Media: Decide if you want to accompany the question with an image or video.
- Position: If you upload an image for the question, choose between a horizontal or vertical display.
- Answers: Click on the pencil icon to rename each answer. Click on the "Add answers" button if you need to add more, use the copy response option to duplicate the answers or use the trash can icon if you need to delete answers.
b) Advanced options:
Here you will find the options to set up your question:
- Feedback message text: You can present an informative text with the correct answer after users answer the question. You can customize different feedback messages for correct and incorrect answers.
- Hide question text: In case your image includes the text of the question, you can hide the text box so that only the image and the answers will be shown.
- Container columns: It will allow you to indicate how many answers you want to show per row.
- Question type: In case you need to modify the type of question you have initially created.
- Hide Continue button: Check this option if you want the user to move to the next question by just clicking on the answer buttons. By default, the Continue button is displayed in closed answers to allow users to move forward to the next questions of the quiz.
4. If you wish, you can also create a new question and configure it to your liking. To do this, click on the "New question" button:
5. For each question that you create, you will see the following window with the different answer types but for the Product Recommender, you should use the ‘Single answer’ option because they allow you to give the same score in each question and connect them with a certain final message.
5. Create the final messages to show the recommended product
One of the special features of the Product Recommender is that it lets you set up customized final messages based on the preferences in the answers, or based on the “majority of answers” if using this system.
This option will let you show each user a different final message recommending one of your products, depending on the answers in the quiz.
Click here to see our Cheese Recommender and try the user experience.
To create different final messages depending on the answers, you should follow these steps:
1. Go to the Editor> Pages> Quiz > Final messages section. As you can see, you have 4 final messages already created, each with a specific score, so you can better see how to configure each final message. Click on the pencil icon to edit the final messages:
Tip! We recommend that you start by designing the messages that you want to display on the final page since they vary depending on the number of products you want to show in the recommender. Each final message will represent one of the products that you want to recommend to the participants.
Example: To write this tutorial, we’ve invented a recommender quiz with questions about cheese (which type do you like the most, how do you prefer to eat it, etc.) and depending on the answers, on the final page of the promotion, the user will receive a recommendation about the kind of cheese that best match their preferences.
To do so, to each final message you should assign the value: 1, 2, 3, 4, etc., to define the different products.
2. Assign points to the answers. Once you have defined the final messages for the different products you want to recommend, you must give a score to the answers to the different questions. Assign a value to each answer that corresponds to each product, for example, 1, 2, 3, or 4, etc. in order to link each response to a specific final message.
The following question “How do you prefer cheese?” has three possible answers:
a) Fresh or soft-ripened
b) Semi-soft or semi-hard
So we connect each answer with the product that matches this characteristic. To do so, in the “Number of points” we put the value of the final message (= product) that matches each answer:
You can assign more than one value to each answer so that you can connect one answer with more than one product. This option is useful if, because of the characteristics of a product, this can be connected with more than one of the possible answers.
Example: If in the question “Type of milk used…”, the answer “Sheep’s milk” can be connected with different cheeses, you can write the values of the different cheeses made with sheep’s milk to create the connection:
And this is how the final message that recommends a specific product is displayed:
Note: In order to configure the final messages follow this tutorial and do not miss any steps.
6. Enable the Summary page
The Questionnaire Summary page shows users a new page with the details of their answers before registering their contact details. This screen is presented after answering the last question of the questionnaire, just before accessing the registration form. You can choose to allow users to repeat the questionnaire before they register.
Learn how to enable and customize the Questionnaire Summary Page here.
7. Set up the registration form
In order to participate in the Product Recommender, users must register by filling in the registration form with the requested data.
To do this, go to the Editor > Pages > Registration Form, to customize the fields that you want to ask users to be able to participate:
Check the tutorial where we explain how to configure the promotion registration form.
8. Customize the design and finish the settings
Once you have configured the Timed Quiz, the next step is to finish the configuration of the other options of the promotion, such as customizing the design template with your own colors and texts, introducing the legal bases, the viral content settings, etc. Check the tutorial to finish the configuration and customization of your promotion.
9. Manage prizes and publish the winners
Easypromos provides a complete Prize and Winners Management system that will allow you to create the prize or prizes that you want to give to the users who participate in the Product Recommender, as well as configure how you want to assign the prizes and select the winners.
Specifically, you have two ways to assign the prize to the winners, depending on your preference:
1. Carry out a draw among all the users who have participated. Follow the steps of this tutorial to create the prize and raffle it among all the participants.
2. Carry out a giveaway based on the recommended product. Follow the steps in this tutorial that explains how you can create the prize to raffle it among the participants according to the recommended product.
3. Give a coupon to all users who have participated. Follow the steps in this tutorial that explains how to create the promotional coupon type prize to assign it directly to all users after participating.
Please sign in to leave a comment.