Why does the widget open the promotion outside of my webpage? Follow
The promotion widgets allow you to embed a promotion within a website (client's website). The widget allows displaying the first page of the integrated promotion within the website itself, but when the user clicks on the promotion to Participate, the promotion opens outside the client's website.
Why does Easypromos allow the promotion to be opened outside of my webpage?
There are two main reasons for forcing the promotion to open the participation page outside of the client's website. The first is a technical limitation, and the second is related to optimizing the user experience.
To explain this case, it is important to bear in mind that more than 90% of users who participate in promotions do so from their mobile devices.
We explain both limitations below:
1. Technical limitation - Third-party cookies
When the widget code is inserted into the web, an iFrame is generated with the content of the promotion. The content of an iFrame is third party content on the web, and this means that the promotion cookies become third party cookies on the client's website.
Easypromos generates applications with interactive content, and in order to do this, cookies are necessary elements to be able to provide the following functionalities:
- In promotions with Login, cookies allow the creation and maintenance of a participating user session.
- For the control of CSFR (Cross Site Request Forgery) in the user registry. It is a control against one of the main vulnerabilities in web registration forms.
- Cookies are essential elements for the fraud controls of the participants in the games, registrations, questionnaires, etc.
- For language management in multi-language promotions.
- For referral monitoring functionality.
- For participant source monitoring functionality.
- To provide specific functionalities according to the type of game or application.
Therefore, in order to participate in Easypromos promotions, the user must have third-party cookies enabled. Otherwise, the user will not be able to participate in Easypromos promotions and games.
However, we must bear in mind that:
- By default, ALL mobile device browsers (phones, tablets, cell phones) come by default with third-party cookies disabled. This means that more than 90% of the users who want to participate will not be able to do so because they will have third-party cookies disabled.
- Most desktop computer web browsers have third-party cookies enabled, but the trend, as Safari and Chrome have already stated is for them to be disabled. In addition to the security and antivirus extensions that users install, the first security barrier they apply is blocking third-party cookies.
What happens in a promotion embedded in a Widget in case the device used by the user has the third-party cookies disabled?
In this article we explain some of the most common incidents and a resolution guide that solves all cases.
2. Optimizing the user experience on mobile phones
If more than 90% of the users who participate in the promotions do so from mobile phones, it is a priority to optimize the embedding of the widget within the web for access through mobile devices. This optimization goes beyond creating a simple responsive iFrame.
The interactivity of Easypromos promotions takes into account that most campaigns are made up of several internal pages. These internal pages can have a variable height, and also have interaction elements such as floating windows or information bubbles which are positioned within the screen according to the relative position of the frame where they are located.
These elements present a technological challenge for the integrator of the widget and also for the developer of the application.
However, solving these challenges will never offer a better user experience than opening the promotion in full screen and outside of the web iFrame.
The home page of a promotion is a static page without interactive elements, so optimizing its integration on the web is easy for any web developer. But the control of the internal pages becomes a challenge, which does not offer any added value to the participant, on the contrary, it can generate a bad experience when participating.
It is recommended that the organizer configures the promotion design template so that the colors, backgrounds, and text fonts are aligned with the web so that the participants don't perceive that they are leaving the web.
Due to these two reasons, the widget forces the promotion to open outside of the web. In September 2016 it was forced on all mobiles, and since August 2020, it has also been forced on desktop browser widgets. After these changes, the incidents of users who reported participation problems and cookie problems to brands have been reduced to 0.
Reducing incidents to 0, and providing a better experience to the participants, is part of our goal, as it helps to increase the percentage of participation in promotions.
Please sign in to leave a comment.