Looking to offer your users a moment of fun and enthusiasm? We present the Scratch & Win application, which will allow you to distribute prizes, gifts, and discounts among users who try their luck by scratching and checking if they have won a prize.
The present tutorial is organized as follows:
- How to create a prize by probability
- How to assign the odds of the prizes by Probability
- How to create an Instant Win prize
- How to schedule the date and time to give away the Instant Win prize
The "Scratch & Win" application will allow you to configure a registration form that users will need to fill in. Once they have completed the form, users will see an image on their screen that they will scratch to reveal which prize, if any, of those you have defined, they will receive. To do this, when creating the promotion you will be able to create all the prizes that you plan to distribute and define the number of units you have for each type of prize.
You will be able to upload an image, which users will have to scratch to see if there is a prize underneath. You can define how many times a user can participate, for example 3 times in total, or once a day. You also have advanced options such as limiting participation to those who have a valid code or a purchase receipt.
The application comes with a prize manager, which will allow you to define the details of each prize, the units available, and the conditions for it to appear when a user scratches the image.
In a Scratch and Win you can add two different types of prizes:
- “By Probability” prizes: These are prizes that are distributed based on the odds defined by the organizer.
- “Instant Win” prizes: These prizes will be assigned based on a date and time defined by the organizer.
Important note: In promotions that combine both types of rewards, prizes of the "Instant Win" type have priority over prizes of the "Probability" type. This means that if there is an Instant Win prize unit available, it will always be assigned to the user.
From the Promotion Editor, you will be able to define the odds of the prizes “by Probability”. For example: if you have 3 prizes and you want to make sure that one of them has a better chance of winning the Scratch card, you can define the odds in this way:
- Prize 1: 20%.
- Prize 2: 20%.
- Prize 3: 60%.
You can also add the "No prize" option and define its probability. In the example above, you could add a “No Prize” Scratch card and set it to a 30% probability. Prize 3 can retain higher odds than other prizes. In this case, you could define the probabilities like this:
- Prize 1: 10%.
- Prize 2: 10%.
- Prize 3: 50%.
- No prize: 30%.
This is just one example of the many possibilities you have with the scratch card odds manager:
Note: The probability manager calculates over 1,000 instead of over 100 to allow you to define a more exact probability.
In addition to or instead of prizes by Possibility, you can also add Instant Win prizes. These are prizes scheduled to be given away on a specific date and time that you will define in advance.
The Instant Win prizes can be combined with the prizes by Probability, which is the recommended option when you have a few prizes of higher value and you need to keep better control over how often and when they will be given away. The prizes with less value will be given out by probability whereas you will create Instant Win prizes for the most valued ones or the ones you have fewer units of.
This way, you will schedule the delivery of these special prizes to make sure that they are spread evenly over the whole promotion period.
With the Instant Win tool, you will be able to define the specific date and time when each unit of the prizes will be distributed:
Note: Prizes of the Instant Win type have priority over prizes by Probability. This means that if there is an Instant Win prize unit available, it will always be assigned to the user.
Some practical considerations:
- If you have only a few units of a specific prize, we recommend the use of the Instant Win tool. This way, you will have control over when each of the units of this prize will be given away.
- If you have multiple prizes, with many units, and you want all users to receive a prize, define the prizes by Probability, and set the odds of the 'No prize' option to 0.
- If you have a combination of prizes with many units and little value, and other prizes with few units but with higher value, set the first ones by Probability and the second ones by Instant Win.
- In the event that the promotion runs out of prize units to distribute, the system will always show NO PRIZE.
- You can define how many times you let a user scratch: You can define the participations in total, or the number of times the user will be able to scratch per hour or per day.
- You can control that users will only receive a single prize. If you offer multiple participations per user, you can make sure that users will only receive one prize. In this way, users who already received a prize can no longer participate.
To participate, the user must access the promotion through the link that the organizer will have provided. Upon accessing, the user will experience the following participation flow:
- Welcome page. This is the first page that the user reaches when opening the promotion link, where you will present the promotion, can share the instructions to participate, and where they will find the button to start participating.
- Scratch & Win. Once the form is completed, the users will be able to scratch and try their luck. When a prize is distributed, once the card is scratched, winners will see the image of the prize or a text that presents the prize received. This can be configured from the editor itself. You can define the number of participations you give to a user.
- Thank you page. After scratching the card and discovering their prize -if any-, the user will reach the final page, where a “Thank you” message is displayed, as well as a button to share the promotion. On this screen the user will also be able to see the number of participations available -if any.
Next, we explain how to create the prizes, the no-prize option, and how to customize and design your Scratch Card
1. Access the Easypromos Control Panel and log in with your email and password to manage and create your promotions:
2. Then click on the “Create New promotion” button to create your game.
3. Available products will all be presented in the next screen. Select "Scratch & Win" in the "Instant Prizes" column:
4. Next, you will be requested to select the following options:
- Organizing brand. First, you will need to create an organizing brand for your promotion. This organizing brand is independent of any social network and works like a folder within your Easypromos account to help you organize the promotions you create.
- Select version. The Scratch & Win is available in the Premium and White label versions.
- Select template. You can choose the default template or pick a pre-configured theme-based template prepared by the Easypromos team.
5. By clicking "Continue", you will access the promotion management page, where you have all the options to set up and customize the promotion. You can see next the most relevant sections or modules:
- Header. You will find in the header the title of the promotion, the version and other relevant information such as the ID number of the promotion, which unequivocally identifies each promotion (provide this number to the Easypromos technical team if you have any incident or doubt about the promotion, so they can easily review the configuration). You will also find the Status of the promotion: draft, active or expired.
Promotion link. It is the URL that you must use in all the channels where you will share the promotion. You will find here the various options, as well as the Copy link button, which will allow you to copy the promotion link automatically to carry out the different dissemination actions.
Activate promotion button. When the promotion is all set and ready to be launched, click on this button to activate it. This button will take you to the activation page, where you can review the billing information to proceed to pay for the promotion (if you do not already have an active plan).
Enable the Test mode. This tool will allow you to carry out a real test of the promotion before activating it. Check out here more information about the test mode.
Lateral menu. Here you will find all the configuration options of the promotion.
View tutorial. From there, you will have access at any time to our step-by-step tutorial that will guide you in the creation and management of your promotion.
Here you will find the following configuration options:
- Promotion dates information.
- Languages: Indicates the default language of the promotion which you can change if needed from the Editor > Languages.
- Localization: Allows you to limit participation to one or more countries. More information.
- Next steps: Practical recommendations that will guide you in the creation and management of your campaign.
In the Scratch & Win, you can use two types of prizes:
- Prizes by Probability.
- Instant Win prizes.
From the Editor > General > Prizes section you can create the prizes that will be given away based on probabilities:
Click on the pencil to edit the properties of the prize you just created. You will find the following configuration tabs:
a. "Go to Scratch & Win" tab: This tab offers you quick access to the customization options for the Scratch Card design, which we explain in Point 6 of this tutorial.
b. "Options" tab: In this tab you will customize the specifics of the prize:
- Name of the prize: Customize the title of your prize.
- Short description. Write a short description of the prize to let the winners know what they will receive.
- Units number. This number indicates the units of prize that will be distributed in the promotion.
- Do you want this prize to be a promotional code? This option allows you to convert the prize into a promotional code that users will automatically obtain when participating in the promotion. A promotional code is an alphanumeric code that can be unique for all users or different for each user who wins the prize. For the prize to be a promotional code, you need to associate the prize to a set of codes. A codeset is a set of alphanumeric codes that you will need to upload to the promotion (You will find the option in the editor > Tools > Codeset). The prizes use the codesets to know which code to assign and in what order. Additionally, you have the option to indicate whether you would like the alphanumeric code to be displayed along with a barcode or QR code. Check out our codes tutorial to find out all the possibilities.
- Does this prize have downloadable content? This option allows you to add content to the prize that users will be able to download. By checking this option, the "Download" and "Send" options by email will be added to the winner's popup. This content can be a document (PDF, Word, TXT file), can contain audio information or an image (Photo file and Video file). If you select this option, you will be able to upload the file that users can download (10MB maximum), indicate the external source of the file or check the option that Easypromos dynamically generates a PDF with the characteristics of the prizes.
c. "Message to winner" tab: This tab presents all the options to customize the design and the way to present the prize received to the winners. Specifically, you can upload an image and configure the message that the winners will see in the prize popup that will be displayed above the Thank you page.
d. "Delivery Conditions" tab: By default, the award is assigned to all participating users. From this tab, you can create a condition for the prize to come out only from a specific date.
Note: It is not possible to define a date for each unit of the prize. The condition(s) will apply to all prize units.
Once the prize has been created, from the Editor > Pages > Participation > Scratch & Win section you will be able to define the probabilities that each of the prizes will be given away:
Note: The probability manager calculates over 1,000 instead of over 100 in order to define a more exact probability.
From the section Editor > General > Prizes you will create your Instant Win prizes:
a. "Options" tab: In this tab you will find all the options to configure the properties of the award:
1. Name of the prize: Insert here the title of the prize.
2. Short Description. Give more details about the prize you are giving away.
3. Units. Number of units of the prize that you are giving away.
4. Do you want this prize to be a promotional code? This option allows you to convert the prize into a promotional code that users will automatically obtain when participating in the promotion. A promotional code is an alphanumeric code that can be unique for all users or different for each user who wins the prize. For the award to be a promotional code, you must associate the award to a set of codes. A codeset is a set of alphanumeric codes that you will need to upload to the promotion (You will find the option in the editor > Tools > Codeset). The prizes use the codesets to know which code to assign and in what order. Additionally, you have the option to indicate whether you would like the alphanumeric code to be displayed along with a barcode or QR code.
5. Does this prize have downloadable content? This option allows you to add content to the prize that users will be able to download. By checking this option, the "Download" and "Send" options by email will be added to the winner's popup. This content can be a document (PDF, Word, TXT file), can contain audio information or an image (Photo file and Video file). If you select this option, you will be able to upload the file that users can download (10MB maximum), indicate the external source of the file or check the option that Easypromos dynamically generates a PDF with the characteristics of the prizes.
b. "Message to Winner" tab: This tab presents all the options to customize the design and the way to present the prize received to the winners. Specifically, you can upload an image and configure the message that the winners will see in the prize popup that will be displayed above the Thank you page.
c. Delivery Conditions tab: The prizes can be conditioned so that they are assigned only to users who meet certain conditions of participation in the promotion:
Once the Instant win prize is created, from the Editor > Tools > Instant Win section, you can define the date and time when each of the prizes will be assigned.
To do so, first you will need to enable the Instant Win tool:
Once enabled, you will see the features offered by the Instant Win tool. There, you will be able to program the date and time for the allocation of each of the scratch card prizes that were created as Instant wins:
Here you can see step by step how to schedule your Instant Win prizes.
The next step is to configure all the scratch card options. To do this, follow the steps below:
First, enter the Editor > Pages > Participation > Scratch and Win, where the scratch card participation mechanic has been automatically created. Click on the pencil to begin customizing the game:
Next, you will find the following tabs:
1. Options: This contains the general options for the stage. From this section, you will be able to configure the number of times that users will be able to scratch the card, as well as the frequency of participation that is granted to users.
In this section, you can also add a prize limit so that the same user can only win 1 prize overall. By checking this option, when the users receive a prize, they won’t be able to continue participating:
2. Requirements: Optionally, in the "Requirements" section, you can request an additional action from the user before participating. The available requirements are: validate a code, upload a purchase receipt, watch a video, or complete other stages of participation. Learn more about requirements here.
3. Customization of the Scratch & Win: In this tab, you will find all the options to customize the appearance of the Scratch card.
The following customization options for the Scratch Cards are available:
1. First Screen - Cover: In this section, you will customize the cover image that users will scratch to discover if they have won a prize. You can customize the following sections:
- Cover image. This will be the image that users will scratch. You can upload a custom cover image with a size of 600x600px.
- Upload Media. You can upload a header image or video. It will be visible at the top of the cover image.
- Introduction message. You can add an introductory message about the Scratch card to guide users or to wish them luck! This will be visible above the card.
2. Second Screen - Prizes: From here you will be able to customize the screens of each prize you have created as well as the screen of the "No Prize" option. The odds of each prize will also be configured in this section, which is explained in point 5.1 of the tutorial
Each prize and the "No prize" option will be customized separately. The prize or the "No prize" screen will be the one the users will see once they have scratched the cover screen. In this section you can customize the Scratch card using the following features:
- Prize image. You can upload an image of the award measuring 600x600px. This is the image that the user will see after scratching the cover image.
- Background color. You can choose a specific background color.
- Prize text. You can include a text to indicate the name of the prize the user will receive or a description of it.
- Text color. Pick the color of the text.
- Font size. Choose the size of the text displayed.
- Scratching area. The scratching area indicates the area that the user must scratch for the prize to be fully discovered.
Finally, you can also customize your text with one of the three default fonts. This will be applied to all the prize texts or the "No prize" option. In addition, checking the “Automatic transition to the final page after revealing the result” box, your users won’t have to click to continue and be directed to the final Thank you page.
To participate in the Scratch & Win, participants will need to log in with their email, with their Google or LinkedIn account, or with their Facebook or Twitch profile. If it's the first time the user participates, the first step will be to complete the registration form, which must be filled in with the data chosen by the administrator.
To do this, go to the Editor > Page > Registration Form, to customize the fields with the information that you need from users:
Check out our tutorial to easily set up a registration form for the promotion.
Once you have configured the Scratch cards, the next step is to configure and customize the other pages of the promotion, with your own colors, images, and texts, adding the Terms & Conditions and Privacy policies, adding sharing content, etc.