Run a Twitter giveaway to increase your followers and reward them for engagement. A Twitter giveaway is an effective strategy to encourage brand loyalty, drive traffic to your profile, and make your online content go viral.
You can use the Easypromos platform to run several types of Twitter contest:
- Mention + Hashtag.
The platform also includes tools to choose a winner, prevent fraud, announce the results of the giveaway, and stay in touch with participants. To learn more about Twitter giveaways, and start setting up your own, check out the sections below:
- Step 1. Access Control Panel
- Step 2. Create giveaway
- Step 3. Review the list of finalists and apply exclusions
- Step 4. Define the number of winners and alternates
- Step 5. Test and activate winner selection
- Step 6. Prepare to announce the winners
- Step 7. Announce the winners
- Step 8. Manage winners and alternates
1. Types of Twitter Giveaways
Let's take a more detailed look at the different types of Twitter contest:
- Retweets: Run a giveaway between all users who retweet one or more of your tweets. You can also require participants to Follow your profile, as part of the same contest.
- Followers: Run a giveaway between all your Twitter followers.
- Replies: Run a giveaway between users who reply to one or more of your tweets. You can also require participants to Follow your profile, as part of the same contest.
- Mention + Hashtag: Carry out a giveaway between all users who have mentioned your Twitter profile and used a specific hashtag. You can also require participants to Follow your profile, as part of the same contest.
2. Limits and Prices
- The first Retweets contest is free. It is limited to a maximum of 5,000 retweets which are less than 7 days old.
- After your free trial, the following prices apply:
- Basic plan($29/month). Your giveaways can process a maximum of 5,000 retweets tweets which are less than 7 days old.
- Basic PRO plan ($49/month). Your giveaways can process unlimited retweets up to 30 days old.
- The first Followers contest is free. It is limited to Twitter accounts with a maximum of 200,000 followers.
- After your free trial a Basic plan ($29/month) or higher is required.
- Replies contests are only available with a Basic PRO plan ($49/month).
- The Replies Giveaway has no limit. However, if you think you will have more than 50,000 replies, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
D. Mention + Hashtag:
- Mention + Hashtag contests are only available with a Basic PRO plan ($49/month).
- The Mention + Hashtag has no limit. However, if you think you will have more than 50,000 replies, please contact us at email@example.com
3. Setting Up the Giveaway
Step 1. Access Control Panel
Access the Easypromos Control Panel via this link. If you’re not a user yet, you must create an account first. You’ll be able to create and manage your promotions from the Control Panel.
Step 2. Select the Twitter giveaway you want to carry out
To get started on your promotion, follow the steps below:
1. Click Create New Promotion to begin setting up your giveaway.
2. Choose the Twitter Giveaway option:
3. Next, select the type of giveaway you want to carry out:
4. You’ll see the giveaway set-up screen. As a first step, you should select or create an organizing brand for your giveaway. This organizing brand is independent of any social network and works as a folder within your Easypromos account, in order to help organize the promotions that you create.
5. Once you have selected the organizing brand of the giveaway, click Connect with Twitter to link your account:
Note: Users who retweet but have protected their tweets won’t be included in the giveaway.
Note: The possibility of selecting more than one post for the same giveaway is not available for the first free giveaway. Accounts with the Basic plan have the possibility of selecting a maximum of 10 posts for the same giveaway. In addition, with the "Multi-Network Giveaway" application you can accumulate up to a maximum of 25 tweets for the same giveaway.
8. In the upper right corner of the screen you can check the tweets you have included for the giveaway. When you have selected all the tweets you want, you must click on the "Continue" button:
9. If you want to run a Twitter contest for followers, you don't need to take action yet. Go directly to Step 3, below.
10. If you want to run a Twitter giveaway withMention + Hashtag, add your hashtag to the tracking list. Set the date when you want the promotion to start. On this date, the Easypromos app will start importing any tweet which contains your hashtag and @mentions your account.
Note: When clicking on the "Continue" button, the system will automatically import all the tweets published on Twitter with the specified hashtag and, in addition, include the mention of your Twitter account. The system will be based on the Twitter account you connected in step 4.
Step 3. Review the list of finalists and apply exclusions
You're now on the promotion management page. You should see the title of your promotion, followed by the number of participants and options to view their data. You can also access filters and user exclusion tools from this page.
You can set up the following filters:
- Require users to include up to 5 mentions in their tweet or reply, in order to participate in the contest.
- Filter finalists by the hashtags used in the tweet.
Step 4. Define the number of winners and alternates
Choose how many winners and alternate winners your contest will have. We always recommend including alternates, in case you can't contact the winners or they are disqualified.
Note: The total number of winners and alternates must be below 1,000.
Click Continue, and you’ll be taken the Test Page.
Do you want to give away different prizes?
With the option "Customize the prizes" you can create all the prizes you want to give away, and for each prize, you can define the number of winners you want to obtain. For example, you can have a first prize to give away some movie tickets with 2 winners, and a second prize of tickets for a concert with 2 other winners. Being two different prizes, this option will allow you to manage the number of winners you want to obtain for each type of prize, and at the time of publishing the winners, these will also be presented separately.
Step 5. Carry out a test and finalize the giveaway
Before carrying out the giveaway, you can run a test to check that it's working correctly. You’ll also see a preview of how the winners will be shown when the contest ends.
Note: The option to carry out a test is not available in the first free giveaway.
This is how the test will look like:
Once you’re ready, tell the system to carry out the giveaway. Simply click "Ready! Pick the winners" and the Easypromos system will select a winner at random. Once you have taken this step, the prize draw cannot be repeated.
Finally, a window will open with a summary of the configuration of your giveaway, which you must confirm in order to continue with the process. In addition, you have the possibility to activate the option "View the random draw as an animated presentation", which will allow you to visualise the process of selection of winners and alternates in the form of an animated presentation, more visual and graphic. See an example.
Step 6. Prepare to announce the winners
Congratulations! You've successfully completed the giveaway. Your browser will display a screen with the results. Now you can start thinking about announcing the winners publicly and sharing the prize.
A. "Winners and Alternates" section:
You can view a list of the winners and alternates. You can manage and even change the winners, if necessary.
B. "Winners publication" section:
When you create a promotion with Easypromos, the tool generates two very important links:
- Certificate of Validity. A Certificate of Validity is created, guaranteeing that a single, random giveaway has been carried out. This certificate cannot be modified. Share it with your followers to show that your brand is transparent and trustworthy.
- Winners Page. Easypromos creates a microsite to display winners and alternates of the giveaway. Share this page to announce the results! You can even customize the page for your branding and design.
- Broadcast mode. This option allows you to present the results of a giveaway in an animated format to show the winners in a more fun way and add a point of surprise and fun to your draws. This option is only available with the Basic PRO plan or higher.
Click on the pencil icon to edit or customize the Winners Page:
These are the elements that you can customize:
C. "Claim your prize" section:
Do you want the winners to be able to confirm their details and claim their prize? You can set up and activate this section to aid in the prize-awarding process. This way, users who visit the Winners Page will be able to claim the prize on their screens, verifying their details and confirming that they're interested in receiving their reward.
To enable it, click on the "Enable" button and follow the steps indicated in this tutorial to customize all module options.
Step 7. Announce the winners
When the Winners Page is ready, share it across social media. You can copy the Winners Page URL and share it directly.
Step 8. Manage Winners and Alternates
The Winners and Alternates page helps you to make the most of the information that your promotion has collected. You can:
- See who has claimed their prize, and view any personal details they’ve provided.
- Manage the prizewinners and change them if necessary.
- Download all the information provided by prizewinners to an Excel file.