Easypromos enables you to run contests and giveaways for all users who like or comment on a Facebook Page post.
The "Facebook Sweepstakes" application allows you to import participants’ information with a single click. It also helps you to implement rules and exclude specific users from the giveaway. Once the contest is over, you can customize a special page for announcing the prizewinners. You’ll be able to display a certificate of validity, showing that the competition is transparent and trustworthy.
You’ll find access to a tool for writing and publishing a giveaway post in your Easypromos Control Panel.
What you should know before starting:
- The first Facebook sweepstakes is free and it allows you to make a sweepstakes with unlimited participants (among users who comment on the post or "like" the post).
- For the second sweepstakes and onward the following pricing is applied:
- Basic plan ($29 / 29€ month): the sweepstakes is limited to a maximum of 5,000 participants.
- Basic PRO plan ($49 / 49€ month): it allows to run sweepstakes with unlimited participants.
Before we go any further, choose what stage you’re at:
- A. I want to run a Sweepstakes but I haven’t announced it on my Facebook Page yet.
Follow this step-by-step tutorial to run a Facebook Timeline contest:
- Step 1. Access the Control Panel
- Step 2. Set up the basic features of the giveaway
- Step 3. Write a post announcing the giveaway
- Step 4. Publish the giveaway post to Facebook
- Step 5. Launch the giveaway
- Step 6. Review the list of finalists and export participants’ data
- Step 7. Manage and exclude users
- Step 8. Define the number of winners and alternates
- Step 9. Carry out a test and activate the giveaway
- Step 10. Prepare to announce the prizewinners
- Step 11. Announce the winners
Step 1. Access the Control Panel
Access the Easypromos Control Panel via this link. If you’re not a user yet, you must create an account first. You’ll be able to create and manage your promotions from the Control Panel.
This is your Control Panel:
A) Your account information is located in the top right bar. Use your account ID (preceded by the # symbol) to identify yourself when requesting help from the Support Center.
B) You’ll see three tabs, dividing your promotions into three categories: Active Promotions, Draft Promotions, and Old Promotions.
Step 2. Set up the basic features of the giveaway
Click on the “Create new promotion” button to begin setting it up.
Choose the “Facebook Timeline Sweepstakes” option.
Next, choose the type of giveaway you want to create:
The Sweepstakes setup screen will be displayed.
First you’ll be asked to log in to Facebook. Log in with the account you use to manage the Facebook page where you're going to announce the giveaway:
If you’re already logged in, a dropdown menu will appear with a list of all the different Pages you administer. Select the Page where you want to run the giveaway.
Then you’ll be shown a list of existing posts on your Facebook Page. Since you want to launch a new Facebook Timeline contest, click on “Create a new one” to go to the Post Editor.
The application will take you to the Post Editor. Here you’ll see a template text, plus all the tools you’ll need to create a post announcing your giveaway. On the right hand side of the screen, you'll see a preview of your giveaway post.
Haven’t you created the post yet? Check out our ready-made templates with text and images for the giveaway post and publish your giveaway in just two clicks.
Step 3. Write a post announcing the giveaway
Post text: Use our prepared template to write your post. Or, if you prefer, delete it and design your own. We suggest you draw up some legal bases and include a link to them in the post. You can use the free Easypromos Terms and Conditions Tool to host the legal bases of your giveaway and include a link to this document in your post.
Note: read this article containing 17 tips for writing a Sweepstakes post.
Image: You can use one of the predefined images together with the “Image Text” tool, or you can upload your own image. The recommended measurements are 1200x63 pixels: the optimal size for sharing on Facebook.
Warning! If you intend to promote the post using Facebook Ads, keep the Facebook guidelines in mind. No more than 20% of an ad image may be taken up with text. Check that your image meets these requirements with this Facebook tool.
General options: configure the fields in this section to finalize the setup of your post. Once you’ve filled in all these fields, you can save the changes and the “Send to Facebook” button will appear at the bottom of the tool panel. If you’re happy with your giveaway post, click this button. If you’re not ready yet, log out of the Editor using the arrows at the top left of the screen. The giveaway will be saved as “Draft promotions”. Use the pencil icon to return to the Post Editor whenever you like.
Step 4. Publish the giveaway post to Facebook
After you’ve clicked the “Send to Facebook” button, Easypromos will publish the post to your Facebook Page on whichever date you’ve selected for publication. The participation period will begin and users will be able to participate in your promotion by liking or commenting on the post.
You’ll receive an email from Easypromos to tell you when the post has been published (including a direct link to the promotion). You’ll also receive an email reminding you that the end of the participation period is nearing when it’s time to run the giveaway.
Warning! Once you’ve published the post on your Facebook Page, you’ll only be able to edit it from the Facebook Page. If the post is promoted with Facebook Ads, it won’t be possible to edit it without “unpromoting” it. Facebook does allow you to edit the text; however, it is NOT possible to edit or change the image. If you want to edit the image, you must delete the post and start again.
Step 5. Launch the giveaway
Once the participation period of your Facebook Timeline contest is over, you’ll need to randomly select the prizewinners and inform them that they’ve won.
A) If you created the giveaway with the Easypromos tool and now wish to select the prizewinners, go back to the Control Panel and find the post in the “Sweepstakes” tab. Then go to the “Active promotions” section and click edit. Now go directly to Step 6.
B) If you created the post without using our application, but would now like to use the Winners Tool to select the prizewinners, follow the actions outlined in Step 1.
Once you’re on the Sweepstakes setup screen, click on the post you want to launch the competition from. A Sweepstakes will be created automatically for this post. Now you’re ready for Step 6.
Do you want to run a giveaway combining different social networks? With our application “Multi-Network Giveaway” you can carry out a prize draw including users who participate on posts from more than one social network: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Youtube. See how it works!
Step 6. Review the list of finalists and export participants’ data
You’re now on the open Sweepstakes page. Beneath the title you’ll see the number of participants and the options to view and export participants’ data. From here you can also exclude participants or send them to a blacklist.
Note: Exporting the list of participants in an Excel file is a feature available only for Easypromos accounts with a Basic subscription or above.
If you imported the sweepstakes publication to your dashboard days ago, the new users that have participated in the publication will not be automatically imported into your dashboard. In order for these new participants to be counted, you must update the list of participants as a step prior to finalizing the draw.
To do this, before moving to the next step and finalizing the sweepstakes, click on the "Update now" button that you will find right next to the number of participants in your sweepstakes.
When you click the button, you will see that the system will import all the new participants and will add them as participants of the sweepstakes.
Step 7. Manage and exclude users
The Facebook Sweepstakes Tool enables you to exclude users from the list of finalists. There are several different ways you can do this:
1. Add any users engaging in bad practices to your blacklist. This will exclude them from all your Facebook Timeline contests, so you don’t have to exclude them manually each time. The blacklist is linked to your Easypromos Administrator Account, so it will be permanently available to you.
2. Exclusion of previous winners. Select this option if you don’t want users to be able to win more than one giveaway.
3. One-off exclusion. If you only wish to exclude a user from one particular giveaway because they have broken the rules, use this search tool to find and exclude the user manually. You can also find them in the list of participants.
4. Exclusion based on hashtags in comments. This option is available when participants include hashtags in their comments. For example, when you’ve used the tool for running a giveaway with specific hashtags and comments. We explain more about this option here.
5. Exclusion entries registered after a certain date. In case of comments sweepstakes, this option allows you to indicate the closing date of the sweepstakes, so that users who participated after this date are not entered into the final draw. We explain more about this option here.
6. Exclude users who have not commented on the minimum number of publications. If it is a sweepstakes among users who have commented on several publications, this option allows you to limit the sweepstakes to users who have commented on a minimum number of posts. We explain more about this option here.
7. Exclusion of users that haven’t included a photo in their comment. This option is only available for Comments Sweepstakes, and it allows you to filter users that have included a photo in their comments.
This option can be especially useful for organizing competitions where uploading a photo is required to participate - for example, in a photography contest. This option includes the following functions:
- Automatically exclude users without a photo. Users who have not uploaded any photos in their comment will not be included in the list of finalists.
- Photo gallery. You can view all the photos uploaded by users in the comments of the post in gallery mode. This enables you to check the photos uploaded by users in a very visual and dynamic way and control the content of the images. In addition, for more control over the finalists of the contest, you have the option to exclude images that don't meet requirements with a single click.
In order to allow users to include a photo in their comment, remember to set up your Facebook page with the option "Allow visitors to the Page to publish posts". You'll also need to enable the option "Allow photo and video posts". You can check this configuration by accessing your Facebook page in Settings> General> Visitor Posts. Otherwise, users will be able to comment on the giveaway post, but they won’t be able to include an image.
Step 8. Define the number of winners and alternates
Next, you should indicate how many winners and alternates you want. We always recommend including alternates, as they can make it easier for you to distribute the prizes.
Note: the total number of winners and alternates must be less than 1,000.
Step 9. Carry out a test and activate the giveaway
Before activating the random selection of winners, you'll have a chance to carry out a test to help you learn how the tool works. To activate the giveaway for real, click “Select Winners". A Certificate of Validity will be produced and you’ll be taken to a screen for setting up the announcement of the prizewinners. Once the giveaway has been carried out, you won’t be able to repeat it. You’ll be given the chance to confirm your request to ensure you don’t launch the selection of winners by mistake.
Step 10. Prepare to announce the prizewinners
Now the contest has been held, you should prepare to announce the winners and manage the distribution of prizes.
A) In the “Winners” section you can manage the prizewinners and change them if necessary.
B) In the “Claim Your Prize” section you can enable and configure this module to facilitate prizewinner management. Visit the link above to find out what this tool offers and how you can use it.
C) In the “Publication of Winners” section you have direct links to the Winners Page, as well as to the Certificate of Validity, which shows that the giveaway has been transparent and fair. Click on the pencil icon to edit and customize the Winners Page.
Step 11. Announce the winners
Once the Winners Page is ready, publicize it by sharing it across social networks. You can use the “Share on social networks” button, or you can copy and share the Winners Page URL directly.
If you use the “Share across the social networks” button, you can choose whether you want to share it on your Profile or on your Page. For example:
Other FAQs about Facebook Sweepstakes
- How can I carry out a Sweepstakes from multiple posts on my Facebook Page?
- How can I exclude users who’ve participated late from a Comment-Based Sweepstakes?
- How can I use hashtags in comments in my Facebook Post Sweepstakes?
- How can I notify winners of a Comment-Based Facebook Sweepstakes?
- I’ve randomly selected the contest winners. How can I repeat the Sweepstakes?