The Instagram Sweepstakes app enables you to import all the comments on an Instagram post and run a pick-a-winner contest for all the users who comment. You'll then be able to publish the winners on a customized page, and display a Certificate of Validity to show that your Instagram giveaway is transparent and trustworthy.
What you need to know before you start:
- Following the recent changes applied to the Instagram API on April 4, 2018, the "Instagram Comments Sweepstakes" application is only available for business Instagram accounts. It is not available for personal profiles.
We describe the process for carrying out an Instagram giveaway below:
Summary of the Instagram Sweepstakes Tutorial
In this tutorial, you'll find a step-by-step guide to setting up and launching your Instagram contest:
- Step 1. Create and publish a post on Instagram
- Step 2. Access the Control Panel
- Step 3. Import your post from Instagram
- Step 4. Import comments from your Instagram post
- Step 5. Review the list of finalists and apply exclusions
- Step 6. Define the number of winners and alternates
- Step 7. Test your design and activate the giveaway
- Step 8. Prepare to announce the winners
- Step 9. Announce the winners
- Step 10. Manage winners and alternates
Step 1. Create and publish a post on Instagram
The first step is to publish a post announcing the contest on Instagram. Write and publish it just as you would with any other post.
Step 2. Access the Control Panel
Access the Easypromos Control Panel from this link. If you're not an Easypromos user, create an account and sign in to the control panel to create and manage your promotions.
This is your control panel:
A) Your account information is located in the top right of the window. Use your account ID (preceded by the # symbol) to identify yourself when requesting help from the Support Center.
B) This is the area where your promotions will be listed according to their status: Active Promotions, Draft Promotions, and Old Promotions.
Step 3. Import your post from Instagram
The next important step is to select the Instagram post that you've just published.
To do this, follow these steps:
1. Click "Create New Promotion" to start setting up the giveaway.
2. Select "Instagram Sweepstakes".
3. Next select "Comments" to start setting up your giveaway:
4. You will be presented with the giveaway setup screen. As a first step, click the "Connect with Facebook" button:
Note: Business profiles use the new Facebook API for Instagram to import all the comments on the posts. It's necessary to accept the Facebook permissions that authorize Easypromos to read the posts and comments on an Instagram profile. More information.
5. After logging in, select the Instagram account where you published the post announcing your pick-a-winner contest:
6. Your next step should be to select the post you've just published on Instagram – the one you want to use for the giveaway:
Note: The "Instagram Sweepstakes" application is available for any Instagram post, photo or video. It's not available for Instagram Stories yet.
Note 2: Multiple sweepstakes on the same post can only be carried out using an Instagram business profile and an active Easypromos subscription.
Step 4. Import comments from your Instagram post
In order to import comments, our platform uses the official Facebook API, which allows us to obtain all the comments on the post. This way, when you select the Instagram post, the platform will obtain all the comments on the post and will import the authors as participants in the pick-a-winner contest.
If you don’t want to close the contest yet, you can save the giveaway on your control panel. When the participation period ends, you’ll just need to log in again, edit the same giveaway, and follow step 5 of this tutorial.
Once you have imported the comments on a post, you can add new posts to the contest - up to a maximum of 10 posts - to pick a winner from the comments on all the posts. This option is only available for Instagram business profiles.
Have you promoted the post with advertising?
When you promote an Instagram post, the Facebook Ads manager duplicates that post (as if it were a 'dark post') and spreads it to the audience that you've defined for the ad. That is, there are actually two independent posts: the post published on your Instagram business profile, and the duplicate post created for advertising.
So when you're collecting comments for an Instagram giveaway, if some of the comments are linked to a promoted post, you'll need to include the duplicate post that Facebook Ads created. Adding the duplicate post to your giveaway means we can collect all the comments, from both the original post and the advertising duplicate.
To set this up, once you have imported the organic post published on your Instagram profile, you can use the option "Add promoted post" to find the duplicate post and add all the comments generated through advertising.
Note: The possibility of adding the comments of a promoted post is enabled for customers who have an active Basic subscription that has a price $29 per month.
Step 5. Review the list of finalists and apply exclusions
You're on the giveaway page. Beneath the title you'll find the number of participants and options for viewing their data. In this section, you'll also find various tools for filtering and excluding users from entering the giveaway.
These tools enable you to establish the following rules:
- Requiring users to include up to five mentions in a comment, in order to enter the giveaway.
- Filtering the finalists according to the hashtags they use in their comments.
Step 6. Define the number of winners and alternates
Next, indicate how many winners and alternate winners you need. We recommend always requesting alternate winners, because it makes awarding the prizes easier and more efficient. (Why?)
Click "Continue" and you'll be taken to the Test Page. Here you'll be able to carry out a test to see how the giveaway will work, and how the winners will be displayed.
Step 7. Test your design and activate the giveaway
Before you run the random giveaway, you have the chance to carry out a number of tests to see how the tool works and check it's functioning properly.
Note: The test feature is not available in the "free first promotion" offer.
When you are ready to pick a winner, the system will allow you to finalize the giveaway and see the winners and alternates. If you don’t have an active Basic subscription, the system will offer you the chance to purchase it:
Once you have an active Basic subscription, and you're ready to pick your winners, click the "Ready! Pick the winners” button and winners will be picked randomly. Once the giveaway has been finalized, it can’t be repeated.
Step 8. Prepare to announce the winners
Congratulations! The giveaway has been carried out and the results will be displayed. You can now think about announcing the winners and awarding the prizes.
A. "Winners and Alternates" section:
Here you'll see the list of winners and alternates. You can manage the prize winners from this page, and change them if needed.
B. "Claim your prize" section:
Do you want the winners to be able to confirm their details and claim their prize? You can set up and activate this section to aid in the prize-awarding process. This way, users who visit the Winners Page will be able to claim the prize on their screens, verifying their details and confirming that they're interested in receiving their reward.
C. "Publication of winners" Section:
When you run the giveaway, the tool will generate two important web addresses that you need to know about:
- Certificate of Validity URL. The Certificate of Validity confirms that the sweepstakes has been run once only and completely at random. This certificate identifies the sweepstakes and it can't be modified. Share the URL with winners so that participants can see that your sweepstakes was run fairly and transparently.
- Winners Page URL. This is a microsite where the names of the winners and the alternate winners are displayed. This way, communicating the results will be easier. You'll be able to customize this page to adapt it to your brand and needs.
Click on the pencil icon to edit the Winners Page and customize it to fit your needs:
Step 9. Contact the winners
When the Winners Page is ready, share it on social media. You can use the "Share" button or copy and share the URL of the Winners Page directly.
Tip: If you'd like to announce the winners on Instagram, we recommend the three following actions:
- Publish a link to the Winners Page in the Bio of the organizing brand's Instagram account.
- Publish a post or a story where the results of the giveaway are announced, so that viewers can find the link in the Bio.
- Use your social media channels to share the link to the Winners Page.
Keep in mind that links in Instagram comments and photo descriptions are not active, and can't be clicked on.
Step 10. Manage winners and alternates
From the 'Winners and alternates' section you can:
- See whether winners have claimed their prize, and review the details they've provided.
- Manage the prizewinners and change them if necessary.
- Download all the information provided by prizewinners in a file.