Organize a Video Contest to collect user-generated content that you'll be able to show in a public gallery and enable the voting system to help viralize the contest. Users can upload any video format from anywhere: mobile, tablet, Facebook, YouTube, Vimeo or Instagram.
Attention! The Video contest applications is listed as an "Old" product.
This means that you can still use it, but it will stop working in the future, although we don’t have an exact date yet.
We recommend you use the new "Voting Contest" application instead, which we have redesigned with a more modern style, new functionalities, and more customization and configuration options.
The content of the tutorial is as follows:
1. General description
The Video Contest application will allow you to organize an online video contest to obtain content generated by your users, which you can display in a public gallery and, additionally, enable voting to help make the contest viral. The Video Contest will allow you to:
- Completely customize the registration form with the data you want to obtain from the participants.
- Accept any video format: Users can participate by uploading videos from YouTube or Vimeo, and additionally, you can enable the Video Hosting extension to allow users to upload any video file directly from their device.
- Publicly display the videos uploaded by users in the contest gallery and enable the voting system so that the videos can be voted.
- Enable participation from Instagram to facilitate participation from these two social networks.
- Manage and moderate all video uploaded by users in order to control which videos appear published in the gallery and are valid for the contest.
- Decide how you want to determine the winner/s of the contest: by votes, through a jury or by a random draw.
- Download the videos uploaded by users by connecting your Dropbox account
2. How is the participation flow of the user
What will the user experience be like? The promotion is made up of different pages that the user will find when interacting with the promotion to participate, such as: the initial welcome page, the registration page, where the user will register with their data, the final page, etc. As a whole, the different pages will make up the structure of the promotion and the flow of participation that the user will follow to complete the promotional mechanics of the promotion.
In particular, in a Video contest the participation flow will be as follows:
1. When accessing the promotion for the first time, the user will access the Welcome page, and when clicking on the main button to start participating, the next page they will see will be the registration form page.
2. The user will need to fill in the form with all the information requested by the administrator as well as upload the video.
3. Once the registration form has been completed, the user will access the final page where the thank you message will appear, confirming that they have registered correctly.
3. Create the promotion
How to start creating the Video contest? We present the following tutorial that will allow you to know the first steps to create your promotion so that you do not miss any important point. You will learn all the general management options that you have available as an administrator in your internal dashboard to manage and edit the promotion.
4. Set up of the Video contest
Here we explain all the steps to create your Video contest.
Step 1. Participant registration system
In order to participate in the Video Contest, users must register by filling in the registration form with the requested data.
To do this, go to the Editor > Pages > Registration Form, to customize the fields that you want to ask users to be able to participate:
Because you've selected the “video contest” app, the "Media" field is pre-configured to ask participants for a video entry. By default, users can link a YouTube or Vimeo URL to this field.
Important: By default, Video Contests only allow users to participate with videos previously hosted on Youtube and Vimeo. They simply insert the URL of the video in the Media field of the registration form.
If you want to allow participants to upload a video file directly from their mobile or computer, you must enable the "Video Hosting Extension", which has an additional cost of $99 (price per contest). The extension will be added to the cost of activating the contest.
To enable the Video Hosting extension, follow these steps:
1. Click on the "Enable" button:
2. A pop-up window will open to confirm that you want to enable the extension:
3. The extension will be enabled, and the cost will appear on the purchase summary page:
When you enable the Video Hosting extension, the platform will suggest connecting a Dropbox account for safe and convenient file storage. If you connect to Dropbox, videos will be automatically stored on your account. You'll find them in a folder named Easypromos, followed by your promotion ID number.
You can configure advanced options, such as:
- Allow users to participate with a photo or a video.
- Make uploading a photo or video optional.
If you want to enable a field for video captions or details, you can add the "Comments field". Participants will be able to write up to 65.000 characters, but you can choose to limit captions with the "Maximum characters allowed" option.
Step 2. Customize the Gallery page
Set up how the public gallery of entries will be displayed. In this section, you should focus on the following option tabs:
1. Contents: From here, you can upload a header image and add an introductory message to give the gallery a more corporate touch.
2. Layout: By default, the gallery uses a tiled layout. This allows you to present more than one picture on the same line, and makes for a visually attractive collage. In this section you will find the following configuration options:
- Decide if you want to use the Tiled gallery or the Vertical gallery.
- Adjust the details of the gallery design. Find out how here.
3. Options: Here you have the following advanced options:
- Entries per page. This option allows to set up the number of pictures displayed per page within the Gallery.
- Order entries. This option allows to set up how you want the pictures to be ordered on the Gallery:
- Most recent first.
- Most voted first.
- Anonymous participations. Activate this if you don’t want to display users' names and Facebook profiles next to their competition entries in the gallery.
Step 3. Enable the voting system (optional)
Access the "Votes" tab if you want users to vote on entries.
By default, Video Contests come with the voting system enabled. In this section, you’ll be able to set up what type of voting system you wish to have in your contest. You can also disable the voting system from here.
Step 4. Enable participation via Instagram (optional)
Normally, users participate by accessing the promotion and filling in the entry form. If you want to allow Instagram users to participate from within their social networks, you can enable Instagram integration. Users can then participate by posting with the mention+hashtag that you've picked for the contest.
5. Customize the design and finish the settings
Once you have configured the Video contest, the next step is to finish the configuration of the other options of the promotion, such as customizing the design template with your own colors and texts, introducing the legal bases, the viral content settings, etc. Check the tutorial to finish the configuration and customization of your promotion.
6. Manage and publish the winners
Easypromos provides a complete Prize and Winners Management system that will allow you to create the prize or prizes that you want to give to the users who participate in the contest, as well as configure how you want to assign the prizes and select the winners.
Specifically, for the Video Contest you have two ways to assign the prize to the winners, according to your choice:
1. Randomly: You can run one or more draw among participants, or among a segment of participants, and obtain a certificate of validity with the results. Follow the steps of this tutorial to run the draw.
2. Manually: You can assign one or more prizes manually to your chosen winners. This is useful in voting contests and skills tests. We also recommend this option if your winners are selected by a jury, notary public, or the organizing brand. Follow the steps of this tutorial to assign the prizes manually.